Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao ragazzi! I am new to your forum and the Alfa brand but a lover of Italian cars and owner of modern Maseratis. I am looking at an '87 with less than 60k miles and visually in very good condition. Assuming the mechanics are equally good, what does your experience suggest as a reasonable retail price for this?
I appreciate any insight that you can offer.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Ciao ragazzi! I am new to your forum and the Alfa brand but a lover of Italian cars and owner of modern Maseratis. I am looking at an '87 with less than 60k miles and visually in very good condition. Assuming the mechanics are equally good, what does your experience suggest as a reasonable retail price for this?
I appreciate any insight that you can offer.
You mean this one?

Alfa Romeo

[email protected]

Alfa Romeo Milano 2.5 V6 , 1987 metallic blue 4 door in excellent condition with 53,000 original miles !!
This car sleeps in the garage when not being driven!! this car run and looks new ~
she has had all her maintenance and plus. Never been in a accident or painted!! all original !!!!
I'm selling my father's pride and joy!! he is no long able to drive. we are asking $ 7500.00 OBO
if you are serious i can email more pictures of the car, thanks.

Hard to tell if it's really as nice as suggested. Also very pricey for a Gold edition. Go drive it. If its' worth it to you, then buy it...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's the one, thanks. You say pricey, what's a more realistic price? I've tried to look around the internet but so few are offered for sale I can't get a good idea. Anyone know what the wholesale is at auction?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Lots of variables here, but he's asking about twice the typical sales price for a 2.5L Milano. However, if the car is as advertised, it's not a typical Milano. $7,500 is floating in the top of the market price range for a 3.0L version in a similar condition. Along with that thought is to consider is how it will hold its value as compared to a 3.0L Verde in similar condition.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grazie.That's useful information. I see that you have a '88 Verde. Is it a daily driver for you? One more thing, what is the single most important thing to look for? Rust?

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
$7.5K only makes sense if you are confident that you are going to keep it for quite a while. You will likely take a bath if you buy it then try to sell it again.

It should be almost perfect for that price so pay a good Alfa mechanic to check it out for you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alfaparticle - I have no intention of flipping it but don't want to pay too much. It's a one owner car with lots of records etc so I agree it deserves a premium but being totally ignorant about this model I have little idea about the values. I will have a mechanical review performed. I am a three time (and current) Maserati owner so I know about plummeting re-sale values.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Grazie.That's useful information. I see that you have a '88 Verde. Is it a daily driver for you? One more thing, what is the single most important thing to look for? Rust?
No, not a daily driver, only about 81K on the odometer so I'm trying to keep it low. Maybe someday. Lots of good info if you search here for what to look for when buying. Common rust areas include rear wheel arches and under the rear reflector strip. Very important that the timing belt has a documented recent replacement, esp. at his asking price. The sunroof if it has one is a common mechanical problem area, as can be the rear door locks and windows. The ARC (central dash system display) is infamous for random and annoying flashings of real or perceived failures of everything it monitors. Also these car have a tendency for heater fan fires that will total the car- easy enough to prevent, search for this topic here as well. They are fun to drive, and the V-6 is very torquey and makes a magnificent sound, it's just amazing, but bear in mind 150hp in a four door sedan may be spirited but has no stoplight-to-stoplight prowess- I've had moms yacking on cell phones in their new SUVs steadily pull away from my 183hp 3.0L even though I went to redline with each shift, that's just the way it is between the 80's and today. As has been stated these cars are fun to drive especially in the curves and quite reliable if sorted and driven regularly.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim - thanks for that post. I did try to do a search before pestering the membership. The timing belt was recently replaced (documented). This is a very well cared for car with an owner we would all be proud to have as our father, a genuine car lover.
Not sure where I will end up here but VERY appreciative of this forum's help to a newbie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts