Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER
It's it great condition, I've had it almost 17 years now.
Runs fantastic!!
New top
Interior in good condition
Original paint
67,000 original miles.
Always garaged
Purchased from original owner in California

Any questions or interests, PLEASE CALL Dave at (716) 939-8667

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
1987 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER
It's it great condition, I've had it almost 17 years now.
Runs fantastic!!
New top
Interior in good condition
Original paint
67,000 original miles.
Always garaged
Purchased from original owner in California

Any questions or interests, PLEASE CALL Dave at (716) 939-8667
I've ALWAYS wanted to ask this question, and your nom de plume indicates that I can get an answer from one who is "in the biz"....
I understand what "original" owner means....
I understand what "original" paint means...
But *** does "original" miles mean?
And how do "original" miles differ from "unoriginal" miles?:eek:

BTW, this looks like a nice example of a Series 3 Spider...can you explain the concave dent in the nose - I know, I know - they all do that, but.... inquiring minds might like to know ...
Gorgeous color.... Champagne metallic, just like my first Alfa!!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Original miles - meaning?

When you get an answer to the difference between original and unoriginal miles, perhaps someone can tell me what the difference is on TV when they advertise an "all new" show and how that is different from a "new" show?

(Sorry for getting off topic)

:confused:

·
Administrator
17,382 Posts
I've ALWAYS wanted to ask this question,

...*** does "original" miles mean?
Back when used car salesmen were known for nefarious dealings, it was not unknown for an unscrupulous used car dealer to 'turn back' the odometer. Thus a 150,000 mile car could suddenly turn into a 50,000 mile car and double in "value". Thus it became known as "original miles". It may not be grammatically correct but it has become part of the language.

Now, while we're on this off-topic, here's a question:

What was once difficult for an automobile to do then became common and is now again difficult?

The answer: to have the odometer turn back to zero miles (on its own...). Cars used to come with odometers that read to 99,999.9 miles. It was unusual for a car to accumulate that many miles before it was worn out. As cars improved it was not uncommon for them to keep running long enough for the odometer to start over at 00,000 miles. Then carmakers began making odometers with six digits and it is again rare for a car to remain on the road for 999,999.9 miles for the odometer to turn over to zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts