Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spider that has been stalling. It all started a year ago when the car would stall as I was driving down the road at any speed. I would pull over and after a few minutes it would start again and I’d be ok. This happened infrequently so I just lived with it but it started happening more and more. I took it to a garage and they were stumped. The changed relays, checked the electrical, and checked fuel filters and gas tank and all was fine. I am stumped. Has anyone dealt with this before?

·
Administrator
17,776 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB.

Try to watch the tachometer needle. If the needle drops then the engine dies it is likely an ignition issue. If the tach seems to read as the engine dies, it is likely a fuel issue. This can help point us in the right direction. But we also need some other vital info - like what color is your car?

Click on the link in my signature to a page of DIY diagnostic info about the L-jetronic system in our cars. (you may need to first click the down arrow to see the full signature)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the AlfaBB.

Try to watch the tachometer needle. If the needle drops then the engine dies it is likely an ignition issue. If the tach seems to read as the engine dies, it is likely a fuel issue. This can help point us in the right direction. But we also need some other vital info - like what color is your car?

Click on the link in my signature to a page of DIY diagnostic info about the L-jetronic system in our cars. (you may need to first click the down arrow to see the full signature)
Thanks for the reply Eric.

If I recall correctly the tach drops as the engine sounds like it is starving for gas until it finally stalls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
AR105 "straw" paint included a random stalling feature as a reminder to change the fuel filter more often than every 8 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AR105 "straw" paint included a random stalling feature as a reminder to change the fuel filter more often than every 8 years.
Thanks for responding.

Both filters were changed 2 months ago and the problem persists.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding.

Both filters were changed 2 months ago and the problem persists.
UPDATE
The problem was traced to a poor ground that controls the fuel injectors. This was addressed upon the first Tim it stalled but I guess the mechanics didn’t replace thoroughly and the problem continued. I took the car to another mechanic and the problem was solved properly. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts