Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped one of the Bob & Matt Brady's new SS OVS into the 74.

This one was originally bought for my now sold 86, so it has the 90 degree bottom. Otherwise it appears identical.

Are there any other internal differences that might make them uncompatible?

Not to malign the Bradys at all, because their OVS are great and we should appreciate their effort to make them, but now the car is running rough, popping, etc.

I don't quite understand it. Could swapping an OVS be the cause? Or have I done something else, gotten bad gas, anything?

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
837 Posts
Did you replace all of the associated OVS hoses when you installed it, or are they original?

When I R & R-d my motor mounts and intake plenum hoses on my '83, I disturbed enough OEM hoses enough to crack the fuel vapor canister hoses. I didn't notice the split, started it up, to a rough running, barely idling engine. After I put in a nicer, clean OVS, I replaces all vacuum hoses, including fuel vapor and OVS hoses, and the engine returned to normal running, albeit with a slightly higher idle. I still need to adjust idle speed, replacing the "O" ring gasket, and go through the proper steps of adjusting the FI, but at least the car is drivable again!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect that in moving the OVS hoses around that I disturbed a spark plug wire connection at the coil.

Just as part of a "make sure" effort, I re-seated those coil connections, and the engine smoothed out.

Might have been getting weak spark, or running on 3x cylinders! :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts