Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the Spider to work this morning as usual, ran great. Maybe I didn't punch it the last mile or so as I usually do...

Went to start it after work- it cranks fine, but never started. It's got gas to the fuel rail, and its got spark. I got a ride home and jumpered the battery with the Honda, no start.

Car hasn't left me on the side of the road- but I'm still feeling like drinking and out of ideas...

Any help is appreciated. I'll start checking fuses and what not tomorrow after work, or have it towed to the local Alfa mechanic. I hate thinking about doing that, another trigger to start drinking. Please help me solve my drinking problem...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I would pull a spark plug and see what it looks like. Is it wet with fuel after attempting a start? If it's dry, pour a small amount of fuel down the plug hole (about an ounce should do it) and see if it fires on that cylinder when you try to start it. If it fires on that cylinder, then I would suspect a fuel problem. I would check and double check the function of the fuel pumps and the presence of fuel at the rail. If you are certain you have fuel at adequate pressure to the fuel rail, then I would take a close look at the L-Jet guide member ghnl and others put together. Among other things, checking the flywheel sensors would be high on the list. HTH.

·
Registered
what part?
10,910 Posts
i think a ounce is a bit too much,, a tablespoon or two.. if you start drinking..MILK is good for you..

·
Registered
159 Posts
This probably is not your problem, but maybe worth mentioning. I have a kill switch next to the hazard switch that can be rocked and overlooked. I've learned here that it's not standard, but one person told me they thought their Spider had one too. Anyway, I assume it would cut off spark and/or fuel which you have, but who knows... Salute!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cheapest check before the mechanic is to get rid of the old fuel. These days the L jets don't like ethanol (10% in most fuel grades) and you develop an unfriendly water vs gas situation in the tank and the rest of the fuel system. Try to find real gas somewhere or a decent additive that will allow the water to be burned thru regular combustion. My guess is just enough water in ur system.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Would also guess for the battery. Check your ground contact going from the battery terminal to the screw in the trunk. These tend to get rusty, replaced mine and since than not battery issues. Take it off, brush it with a metal brush and give it somepole grease before reconnecting it to the sheet metal in the trunk. Also check the destribution points where the wire from ther alternator is coming up and connects to the rail. Also check the same connector at the starter motor.
Further more get a relais between ignition switch and starter solenoid. The voltage drop over the electrical system can be too much when the solenoid is fired via the ignition switch.

Axel, SJC

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mechanic says one or more injectors are bleeding fuel into the cylinders, causing the engine to get flooded. Says he unplugged the cold start injector and it started right up, but suggests replacing the injector rather than sending them out for cleaning...

·
Registered
2 Posts
1986 Spider makes me....

Did you check the relay located next to the ECU. I had the same problem and found this relay was fried.

Pittalfamale

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mechanic says the fuel injectors were bleeding into the cylinders, causing the engine to flood. He disconnected the CSI and its running fine.

Should I:
1. Send the injectors and have them cleaned?

2. Buy new injectors?

3. Buy used injectors?

4. Have another beer?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Good news, you got the car going again. Maybe I am missing something but it sounds like a leaking CSI was the problem so I would focus on that specifically. I don't know if you can buy a new one but member Greg Gordon will. New or used, replace your CSI. Getting your injectors cleaned is probably a good idea. I don't know of any reason to replace the four main injectors.

Cheers,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
Well, if unplugging the CSI fixed it then the CSI leaking isn't the problem. If it leaks it'll leak plugged in or no. So replacing it does not appear to be the fix.

If anything the problem would potentially be with the thermo time switch. I would fully test that before doing anything to the injectors. Test the coolant temp sensor while you're at it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
Well, "drink until you don't care that it runs like crap" is always an option. Hard on the liver if you own an Alfa, though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Of course Gubi is correct and I missed it completely. Maybe time to dig into the diagnostic guide.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice!

Since checking the TTS and CTS costs only my time, I'll do that tomorrow. Since the car will run and I didn't mind taking the bus to work, I can take my time. Plus, the kid is on summer break a couple more weeks.

I have to say that I replaced the connector on the TTS and the connector on injector #3, since both connectors were broken/loose and missing the wire piece which holds them onto the mating part. I saw them in the Centerline catalog and ordered them, so I'm wondering if there's something to all this...and yes, the connections are verified good with a multimeter.

The car is actually running pretty good right now, and it starts up every time. Drove it to work, left work and stopped by the store (beer), then drove home. Idles nice too. I remember I could smell gasoline when I flooded the engine with the CTS connected.

Beer and cars go together about as well as power woodworking tools and booze, so I'm really just joking about all the drinking, so don't try drinking and driving, working on your car, doing some woodworking while drunk, etc. Drink all you want after you're done... :)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Ok, so tonight have the beer and tomorrow send the injectors to Greg Gordon or a rebuilder of your choice. You will most likely get back 4 injectors, very closely matched in flow for maybe less than the price of one injector, currently listed at $159.50 online at IAP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts