Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my Graduate 90 miles on Saturday, parked it in my driveway.
Two hours later ran some errands with no issues.
Parked in the garage, and Sunday morning wouldn't start.
Plenty of battery, but doesn't seem to be getting any gas.
Replaced the fuse to the fuel pump, but same results!
I'm taking it to the shop for replacement of a new top, but would rather drive it there than have it towed!
Anything else I could look at, or does it appear the fuel pump it shot?
What else can I look for before I go that route?
Thanks for your help; all is appreciated!
Thanks, again!

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
You are sure you have at least 10.5V during cranking, using a multimeter and not just the dash gage.

Was the fuse to the fuel pump blow?

What I would do is have somebody turn the key to "on", not start, while you have you head under the car listening for the fuel pump to buzz for 0.5 seconds, then do the same with your head in the trunk listening for the in-tank pump. If they buzz, there's a good chance the pumps are good. Next I would test your flywheel sensors. I think the lower of the two is the signal to the computer to inject fuel.

I had the same scenario, except I wasn't getting spark. Turned out to be the flywheel sensor for spark.

If its not the above, here is your best source for info...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/561722-post4.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the crank position sensors - they can fail without warning. The procedure, as well as lots of other info, can be found here-
Bosch L-jetronic Fuel Injection Idle Adjustment Diagnostic and Tune Up Technical Article Alfa Romeo Spider Specific
I recently had a similar issue with my Spider. Drove it off and on all summer - suddenly, no start. Sensors check out, all fuses okay, confirmed spark. The main relay that powers the ecu is located where the fuel pump fuse is - under the parcel shelf. Little black box - 2x2x4 or so. Unplug and replug it to restore the connection, then try to start. I did that and mine came back to life.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just saw your problem with no start, possible fuel problem. I have an 86 quad spider that had a similar problem and worked on every suggestion provided so far without solving the problem! For the 86 model part of the electrical wiring bypassed part of the original previous wiring for the fuel pumps. I tracked down every wire and finally discovered a lone black wire that ran into the engine compartment along the top of the fire wall to the edge of the fuel injection side of the engine. There is a single connector at this point which over time gets slightly coroded. Pulled it apart and cleaned the connector, plugged back in and it started and ran fine. There is no protective covering this connection, seal it with electric tape and that hopefully will solve the problem. I spent days chasing this problem untill I found this connector. Only the 86 had this wire set up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is this the O2 sensor wiring from the left side across with two connectors. Can't find any others.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry, I got the wire color wrong, it is a white wire which is in the wrapped bundle of wires that come out of the far drivers side fire wall and extends along the and just below the top edge of the engine compartment to the right passenger side. It is exposed at this point which is a slip connector and feeds into a black tube joining all the injection wiring and extends back down the fire wall below the car. That connector I found is the problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Picture

Sorry, I got the wire color wrong, it is a white wire which is in the wrapped bundle of wires that come out of the far drivers side fire wall and extends along the and just below the top edge of the engine compartment to the right passenger side. It is exposed at this point which is a slip connector and feeds into a black tube joining all the injection wiring and extends back down the fire wall below the car. That connector I found is the problem.
Can you please post a picture of the location of the wire?

I have fuel, spark but no start, been at it for two weeks now with no luck! I have done everything suggested!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts