Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Trying to knock things off the list one at a time. I replaced all the bulbs (1156) in the rear of the vehicle and the only one side works, the side closest to the battery, the passenger side. I was wondering if there were any members who had similar experiences and found a few tricks or tips to start?

·
Registered
259 Posts
A couple things to check. The left and right sides of the car have separate fuses for the lights. Its a funny X pattern, from front to back, if you look at the fuse box diagram. Also the sockets for these lights get corroded fast. Remove each bulb, clean contacts, bend hot wire tabs to create better contact, a bit of dielectric grease for good measure. Also disconnect and clean the wiring connectors and especially the grounds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The lenses are fixed, so the entire unit would need to come out if that's the method you wanted to use, but its simple to remove the sockets from the inside - no need to remove the lens unit. You need to fold up the side carpets, which will allow you to lift the rear carpet section. Each socket has a tab that you depress and then lift it out.
There is a ground on the left-rear fender, near the side marker light. Off hand I can't recall if that is a shared ground for both units - I believe it is. If not, check the right side fender as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here's a fuse box diagram for a 1987, the light fuses are the same as for the 86. #10 would be the fuse to check in your case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey All,
Was able to find some time this morning and took the light assembly out. It was a bit tricky, but much easier to see everything once removed. I found a broken ground wire the jumps across a few of the bulbs, spliced in a repair and now all lights are woking. They are very tricky little connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts