Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the glove box be removed without taking the dash off? I need to get to the electric connector behind it and don't want to break anything.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
It can be done

Can the glove box be removed without taking the dash off? I need to get to the electric connector behind it and don't want to break anything.
Thanks
Yes. After all of the screws that hold it in place are removed, it can be twisted/pulled/cajoled out of the opening in the dash.

There are four phillips head screws on the lower front that secure the glove box door hinge. You will need a small or short screwdriver for those, and they tend to get rusted in place quite often. It's easy to strip the slots in those screw heads so be very careful when removing them because they are next to impossible to get loose/out once their slots are destroyed.

If memory serves me correctly, there is also a screw that secures the lamp switch on the right side of the door, another one or two on the ceiling that hold the lamp fixture, and a couple that hold the latch on the top of the front opening. If your car has one of those "map lights" on a cord (they were later removed or discontinued due to a possible fire hazard), there will also be some screws attaching that hardware that will need to come out. If I have forgotten something, please forgive me, but just make sure you get all fasteners out before trying to extract the liner.

The glove box/liner itself is made of a type of black flexible plastic (with a fuzzy coating inside) that does bend and flex a little bit. It is slightly larger than the dash opening so you really have to work at it to get it out. As I recall I had to pull each side part way out at a time, until I could get the whole thing to squeeze through the opening. Maybe I ended up pulling down on the top and squeezing it out that way. Play around you will figure out the path of least resistance. At times it seems like the liner might break, but it will eventually come out. It's also helpful if you can get a hand up behind it (from below) and push on the back side.

Good luck,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's helpful...thanks...I think I'll see if I can slide something like a plastic putty knife around the edge to help get it started

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Take it easy with the putty knife, the dash itself is not very strong and you can easily crack it at the corners.
I did exactly that when I got the glove box out to access the scuttle drain tube. I didnt use a knife or anything but just pulled a bit hard when it was stuck, and ended up with cracks at the top corners.
That dash was already cracked badly so it it didnt matter too much but it would be annoying if you have a dash in good shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts