Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Average is all cars. Gotta watch out too, if you fail badly or repeatedly they will label you a gross polluter and will have to take it to a "star" station and pay big every other year for the life of the car. Same guy always does all my vehicles and I get a pretest just to make sure it is blowing clean.....
Yea that is me Star Station when a rip off.

Ken Smith

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You were correct, quickly lift the throttle body while watching the VVT and it does engage. So it is now BEER 30 for me so I will pick it up again tomorrow and continue on with the rest of the L-Jetronics.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got side tracked by the weekend and now its 100*+ in sunny Northern California, so ill have to wait to finish the rest of the L-Jetronics guide. I did order new plugs, oil filter, and an O2 sensor as well ask make the appointment for the new exhaust to be installed. Will update periodically.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
Got side tracked by the weekend and now its 100*+ in sunny Northern California, so ill have to wait to finish the rest of the L-Jetronics guide. I did order new plugs, oil filter, and an O2 sensor as well ask make the appointment for the new exhaust to be installed. Will update periodically.
I'm with ya on the weather. Got my stuff done this morning, now staying cool inside...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New CAT did it. Passed with flying colors. I also took the car for a nice 1 hour ride prior to the test. Pulled in and onto the rack and tested right away. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it couldn't hurt to run the cobwebs etc out of it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts
Congrats! No matter how ready I think I am those tests always make me nervous....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
918 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I took the Alfa to the smog test here in sunny Northern California thinking its running pretty strong and should pass. Well no not so fast, the HC (Hydro Carbons?) were too high at 15 mph, 179 where max is 141. At 25 mph, the Alfa passed with 113 where 116 is max and 22 is the average. The technician recommends installing a new catalytic converter, so I am considering putting in a new exhaust from the manifold to the tailpipe. Was wondering what others have done and where the best prices may be at? I did look at Vicks and they don't offer the catalytic converter, centerline does not have it in stock, neither does rock auto. Alfaholics also do not list the catalytic converter and shipping from the UK might be pricy.

I do need to make sure the CC is C.A.R.B. certified and not Federally certified. It does appear that all the sections/components bolt together so no need to have a muffler shop weld it up. Any pitfalls experienced by anyone here? Gaskets etc needed to complete the job.

Picture of VIR (Vehicle Inspection Report) attached.
You may consider changing the O2 sensor,
Oil, spark plug and air filter change. Throw some “fuel injector/gas tank/catalytic converter ‘cleaner’ “ into the tank and drive a full tank or two worth around town and freeway. Then change the oil again and retest before investing in a new cat.
Also check for any air leaks between engine and cat.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts