Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1986 Spider just failed smog yesterday on Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide. I have been reading a bunch of the threads on here and I think the O2 is the likely culprit. Is the best way to verify with a multi-meter?

TESTRESULTLIMIT
HC (PPM) - Hydrocarbons207141
CO % - Carbon Monoxide4.130.86
NO 1061161

It appears centerline and my local auto parts stores are all sold out of direct fit O2 sensors. Do you have any recommendations where I can get one? Are there any documented walkthroughs on how to complete this job?

I'm hoping the Cat wasn't damaged too much from the rich setup, it was only run a couple of times with the bad O2.

My plan is to fix the O2, test again, and if I fail go get a new universal cat welded in.

I appreciate any insights from other Californian Alfa Romeo owners. I'm in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My thought, it is the catalytic converter. Did you get assigned to a star smog shop? When I bought my car seven years ago it just barely passed smog. A few years later it wouldn’t pass smog. I took it to continental Motors and he said number three piston oil ring was broken. Should I say this became a very expensive repair for smog. Because of all the oil going out the exhaust I imagine it ruined the catalytic converter.

Ken

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Not all emissions failures are the same.
Looking at your results, I would conclude that the converter is likely OK. The mixture is too rich, so HC and CO are failing; but NOx results are good, an indication that the converter is reducing oxides of nitrogen - thus still functioning.
Follow your plan.
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got my 3 wire upgraded O2 in 2019 but it also appear to be out of stock. Bosch 15726 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Fitment

Hopefully someone else will chime in with another alternate... PS I recommend upgrading to a 3 wire while you're at it, lots of info here and pretty easy (just don't solder the wires, that apparently is a no-no).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts