Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My s3 spider stayed outside for over 5 years in the sun the bumpers look pretty bad thinking about spray painting them note that the entire car needs paint because the clear coat is peeling everywhere so the bumpers I'm not wanting them to be perfect just to look good I also have an early 86 spider so I have the soft rubber spoiler that is starting to fall apart a little so is there any cheap way to get a replacement I would prefer the hard plastic spoiler instead of the soft rubber spoiler

·
Administrator
17,014 Posts
If there are no major cracks/gouges but they are merely faded, try one of the rubber restoring products. I think the one I used was from TurtleWax called 'Back to Black' or something like that. I applied it daily for a week then weekly for a month and now with every wash. It improved the rubber sections by 99%.

If there are cracks/gouges then you need some rubber bumper repair filler. It is a 2-part product that you mix & apply to cleaned out damage. It cures to a rubbery consistency. Then, after sanding everything smooth (being careful not to sand too deep and cause more damage!) mask off & spray paint it with rubber bumper paint. Ask for this stuff at an auto paint supply store - not a chain auto parts store - and you'll get a better product (and pay more for it...).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no cracks but in some spots the sun ate away down to the a orange/yellow foam type stuff that makes those spots slope down slightly. That was the main problem why the car car sat so long was because the owner couldn't get it running and was most likely getting parts from an auto parts store chain we haven't started getting it running again but we will in the summer but it's not in the Charleston sc sun anymore with 2 other alfas out of the direct sun light. Do you know what the factory colors from 1983 to 1990 I don't really want to paint it gold again since we have a nicer body and paint that's gold and we bought in pieces. I'd rather paint my car a factory color from 83-90

·
Registered
1 Posts
try dye

Fiebing's Leather Dye (aniline dye) works very well. Clean the bumper very well with dishwashing liquid to strip all traces of oil, dry thoroughly, wipe everything with 50% alcohol and allow to dry. Mask off the area at risk for splatter. Without much delay, apply Fiebing's black leather dye with a sheepskin brush like what you would use to apply varnish or wood stain in a thin, even layer. Allow to dry, then repeat. Once done, do not use silicone products like armor all. These just turn that pasty dark grey over time. Good luck.

Also, I have a hard plastic spoiler which I bought but never attached. Make me an offer I can't refuse and arrange for shipping, and it's yours.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
After cleaning, light sanding and a good wash-down use
Duplicolor Bumper Black. Many light coats should do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts