Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 GTV6 Original black exterior and black leather interior. The car was restored 10 years ago, shows 65k on odometer which has been replaced, actual mileage is around 145k , engine rebuilt with all new parts, liners piston etc., heads machined, all suspension bushings ball joint replaced, front seats recovered in black leather, new paint was put on a rust and damage free body. Transmission was rebuilt by APE with lightened gears. Has many of the broken plastic parts replaced with new like hood stay, trim around interior door handles, sunroof latch surround, cracked dash is covered with cap. Air conditioning works better than new with upgraded radiator fan. $14k obo please contact for more info like Carfax. I'm located on the West side of Los Angeles.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice looking 6. Mine's a silver 84 with a 3L. I always wondered if I might enjoy shifting a later car better. Although with a 2.5 I would miss the power of my current ride. Then again, I have a 24v I could drop into the later chassis. But I like silver better and I like the 3.0 so maybe I should just leave it alone. After all I can drive the old linkage just fine. The later ones are probably not that much better? What's the informed opinion of the conoscenti?

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
In my experience, the later ones seemed to be better all around than the earlier ones. I had an 81 and an 86, exactly like this one, and the 86 just seemed to be a better complete car. At least that's what I ended up thinking.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re early vs late, I've been driving an '81 and earlier owned an '84 and '86. Unless A/C is important to you, the only real difference in the driving experience is in the gearbox and shift linkage. The '86 was the friendliest about town, much like my '87 Milano (less hectic from light to light), but the '84 and '81 feel more configured for aggressive back road driving. My impression anyway. Someone like Rob could speak much more from experience.

Re the cosmetics, at first I far preferred the '84-'86s, as most seem to do, but I've come around to the more Alfetta-like early cars. Like them both really. The later cars have the better seats no doubt but I'll give the nod to the early cars with respect to the rest of the interior, at least in black or tan (not the powder blue; blue dashes are why SEM satin black exists).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re early vs late, I've been driving an '81 and earlier owned an '84 and '86. Unless A/C is important to you, the only real difference in the driving experience is in the gearbox and shift linkage. The '86 was the friendliest about town, much like my '87 Milano (less hectic from light to light),
Exactly. I have an '85, and while it has Tropic Air and Isostatic (I have a later '85), it also keeps the hilariously short first gear. The '86 has the first gear from Milano 2.5, and the jump from 1st to 2nd is not as big (which helps the syncros). It's much friendlier around town and still is a lot of fun driven aggressively. If you don't do a lot of driving around town, though, then it's not a biggie.

That being said, as long as the car is well sorted out, it's hard to go wrong with any year as long as you know advantages/disadvantages for you. (e.g. 82 and 83 had lower axle ratio for more relaxed cruising, but acceleration suffered).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have gone through most of the car including replacing all the isostatic linkage. The bigger improvement was rebuilding the trans with lightened gears.

I'm meeting tomorrow am at the mechanics shop to complete sale with local buyer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts