Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1986 GTV-6 Smells Like Gas...sometimes

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  horsewidower 
#1 ·
Hello,
Have a 60k mile GTV-6, and I recently found a place with ethanol-free fuel so tanked up! But in doing so, remembered that if the car has --more than half a tank or so-- it REEKS of fuel. After (rolling the windows down...) and getting some miles on it and the tank a lot lower, the smell subsides.

But this is obviously far from ideal so I wanted to find out if anyone had any 100 -yard prognostications or suggestions as to what might be the issue here and any suggestions for solutions?

Thank you--Matt in Indiana

#2 ·
Does it smell only after refueling? Imagine you fill up, drive a couple miles home and park.
Will it smell the next day?
Ask this because there is a hose that connects the tank to the refueling opening and that is most likely the cause.
It's easy to look at that hose. Just remove carpet on the top right side of the trunk. You should see what I'm talking about.

#10 ·
This vapor cannister is under the raised section of the inner hatch cover just behind the rear seat.
If the cannister has been removed or the hoses are split it is possible for fuel to flow out throught the damaged or loose hose because the filler neck is higher than the top of the tank, so if you top up into the filler neck the fuel will leak out through any damaged or loose rubber connectors or hoses

#6 ·
My money is on the hose from the filler to the tank also. They aren't available new anymore so you have to work up your own solution.
Something like this

Or something like this and supply your own 2 1/4" hose

I made option two out of a small bit of 2" hose by cutting the outer layer of the 2" hose off, until it fit in a 2 1/4" hose. This should go to post 47.

#9 ·
It’s a pretty straight forward job. Carpet out of the way, remove clamps, slide hose all the way one way and angle out. Install is literally the reverse.
I would advocate for people not to let this issue linger as your trunk floor carpet will get ruined with getting saturated with gas residue, the petroleum elements of gas that won’t evaporate off.

#8 ·
Never had a problem with our GTV6's filler hoses IIRC, but the OEM one in our Milano certainly would reek of fuel smell. Had to change it with a generic Goodyear version to get rid of the smell. Luckily, it was all one dia unlike the GTV6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.