Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along in my Graduate (with the top down) when my accelerator pedal became useless. Discovered that one of the plastic throttle link ends ( of which there are 4) for the pedal linkage had broken. I was able to order the parts from Centerline International and the new ones are metal .Wonderful! However they fit on to the ball end (covering the ball) as opposed to going over and allowing the ball to go through it completely. What an easy repair, I thought. Everything worked fine until my first trip when they just popped off , and continued popping off, approximately 10 times within 5 miles of driving. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Which ball are they popping off of? I was recently having this problem on the ball that is attached to the throttle pivot arm attached to the firewall. The issue was caused by the bushing in the pivot arm. Bought a new one of those and installed it, and the problem is solved. Also, the throttle response is noticeably better.

You can see the problem below. The circled bolt passes through the bushing and has the ball on the opposite end. The bushing was simply worn out. (You can see the silver throttle-rod end entering from the right near the top of the red box).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for your quick response and yes I have noticed some play with that bolt. The ball keeps popping off the other end but perhaps that bushing is to blame. I also notice how easily these metal ends push off the ball compared with old plastic ones. I will order that bushing immediately and once again Thank You

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the part? This seems to be only listing Centerline shows.
Throttle Shaft Bushing
Throttle Shaft Bushings, 4-Cylinder (All)
"D" shaped bushing that holds throttle shaft against firewall. Used on all 4-cylinder cars 1956-94.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which ball are they popping off of? I was recently having this problem on the ball that is attached to the throttle pivot arm attached to the firewall. The issue was caused by the bushing in the pivot arm. Bought a new one of those and installed it, and the problem is solved. Also, the throttle response is noticeably better.

You can see the problem below. The circled bolt passes through the bushing and has the ball on the opposite end. The bushing was simply worn out. (You can see the silver throttle-rod end entering from the right near the top of the red box).

View attachment 1627813

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
picture in catalogue
No, that's one of the two bushings that go against the firewall. Here's the bushing from Centerline--It's the same as the clutch link bushing (see description).

Also, check that the rod is not bumping against a wire, heater hose, or fuel hose.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
912 Posts
Also the linkage shaft runs through a barrage of obstacles underneath the intake plenum. Make sure it is not rubbing on something causing it to pop off. The metal ends are surely not as tight as the plastic ones....

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
When I replaced the bushing, I had to remove the throttle pivot assembly from the car and cut the old bushing out of the pivot (tried a press, but it wouldn't budge). It's a geometric challenge to get the assembly out with the engine in place, but it is doable. Remove the throttle rod from the ball; remove the six bolts that hold the two bushings against the firewall; remove the gas pedal, and then you can maneuver the assembly out of the car.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
On carb models, the metal ball sockets are drilled to accept a small spring wire retaining clip. Not so for these?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On carb models, the metal ball sockets are drilled to accept a small spring wire retaining clip. Not so for these?
There is a spring retaining clip in the new throttle rod end but it just doesn't hold the ball that well. The original plastic throttle rod ends was an open loop that fit over and through and held quite securely. I changed all 4 of them not knowing I would create a new problem.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I bought my Spider right after the seller had replaced one of the coolant hoses. As I was driving the car home, one of the throttle rod ball socket ends kept popping off the mating throttle ball every time I depressed the pedal to the floor. I discovered that the new hose the previous owner had recently installed was interfering with the throttle rod travel. I had to jerry-rig a piece of twine in the engine compartment to pull the hose away from the throttle linkage just to get the car home. Either the hose was an incorrect aftermarket version, or the seller had installed it backwards, but once I got that hose interference squared away, I had no more troubles with the throttle rod socket popping off it's mating ball.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts