Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Spider with no AC. Is it possible to put in AC and if so any cost estimates? Gets pretty hot and humid here. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine came with factory air...I lived in NYC for a time, and it did get hot...BUT consider the 4 cylinders work hard anyhow, and with a cloth roof, the best isn't great...I would advise against it...just drive fast, and keep the vents open all the way, Since I moved to Tahoe, even in the 90+ heat of Reno, and the 85+ heat at the lake,I find the roof down is more fun (and confortable) than the air. . Just my oponion Don

·
Registered
130 Posts
After completely removing a spider ac I would not attempt an installation from scratch. At about 20 pounds per horsepower, plus the power to pull the compressor, it would be like robbing 10 horsepower or more.

Driving without a top, more horses/ pound and more fun. The compromise, keep the top but mostly down.

·
Registered
622 Posts
components

I did a quick check on IAP for the components (new) and the compressor, drier etc will run you around $400, but, this dosn't include the blower ducts and AC controller components, or the fan and condensor. I also dont see brackets or just as importantly the hoses. This looks like a brute of a job even if you strip an A/c equiped car for the parts, so I'm afraid I would have to agree with the rest of the guys.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The Spider a/c works very well, and it will freeze you out of the car when it is up to spec. There are threads on the BB about Spider a/c's, so I would encourage you to do a search.

Your '86 Spider can be fitted with an a/c. The best thing to do would be to pull the system from another Spider. Do get the bracket that holds the a/c compressor, at the front and lower side of the engine on the passenger side, since this is really needed for a good installation. It will take work to get all this in, and you may want to consult with a professional Alfa mechanic to see if will do it for you. It won't be cheap, but a Spider with a/c is well worth it, IMO.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I vote yes

I agree with Enrique. I had my compressor re-manufactured last summer. Over the past few days with temperatures in the 90s and hi humidity the AC has been a blessing. It blows cold and I wind up putting the blower on the lowest speed because it can get too cold. Performance may suffer (not that I notice), but when I'm driving and feeling comfortable I am happy to make that sacrifice.

Just a note that I had the compressor re-manufactured because I couldn't find a new unit that matched the S4 belt drive.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's a beautiful Spider you have there by the way. For future reference, many parts needed are available from time to time on e-bay. When I first got the car, it did work well but decided against maintaining it as I like to drive with the top down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have never been able to get the air to be cool enough here in Phoenix. I don't know of a way to get the system to give me a good chill.

pjn

·
Registered
118 Posts
My '86 Veloce has an A/C and it runs OK after I replaced engine mounts and cured crashing the A/C belt as it was hitting stabilizer bar.

My problem is with the ducts and air outlets in the ****pit. I get strong air flow from the outlet to the right of the glove-compartment. Other 6 outlets (one on the left by the light switches, two on the dashboard, and three above the radio hardly blow at all). Those are milder than a nun breaking a wind at the mass.

Any ideas and suggestions?

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1984 spider, i came without air con,I would like to install AC, its hot and humid the whole year here, so AC is a real need for me, has anybody done this?, any ideas about how to get the whole system?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I got my entire alfa ac system from car-part.com, for $50. No comp though- reman is about $180 or so. . Everything was in good condition, but you do have to get lucky . You CAN return it though for refund- you pat UPS.

Tore apart my dash to install evap, test, etc.
All depends on how BAD one wants ac. Thats all- no right or wrong. In Florida, man, no ac, no comfort.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I hear you on the A/C. The other day when it hit 100 degrees in Oregon, going fast or faster was not the answer.
-
It was like the difference between an oven and a convection oven.

·
Registered
6 Posts
how bad I want it?, bad enough. looking at some photos seems to me that the dash of the AC model is a bit different from the one with out, Am I right? have you finished the installation? how does it work?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
upper oil pan mount for compressor

I just paid $200 for a complete AC system (from a parted out 1988 Spider) off craigslist.

I have an AC system in my 1988 Quad, but I have never had it operating since the compressor belt was missing when I bought the car.

I only bought the used AC setup because I thought it was a good price (and I wanted to have some spare parts should I try to get my system functioning some day).

I think one of the major hurdles you might have (even if you found a deal like I did) would be the mounting of the compressor. From what I understand, it mounts to the top of the upper oil pan, and not all S3 upper oil pans have the D/T mounting holes in (used to secure the compressor or it's brackets) in them.

Check for any unused threaded holes on the top passenger side of your oil pan (near the radiator). If you don't see any, you probably won't be able to install a factory AC without changing the oil pan.

Good luck, Edward

1 - 20 of 31 Posts