Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can get a headlight for a 1986 Spider Veloce? Do I need to buy the whole sealed headlight?...or, can I just buy the bulbs? My low beam on the right side doesn't work.:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a sealed beam, so you have to replace the whole headlight.

·
Registered
554 Posts
if you are in the US or it is a US spec spider, most any parts store will have a standard 7" sealed beam lamp for this. Should be $10 or so and take you 5-10 miunutes to swap out.

Or, it would be a great time to upgrade to H4s with replaceable bulbs, e-code light pattern and relays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You!!

Thanks for the information! I thought that would be the case...wasn't sure. Just bought the Alfa 2 days ago....love it!

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Generally best to replace headlights in pairs . Nothing more annoying than having one headlight brighter than the other. For another $10 and another half- hours work it's worth the trouble.

Congratulations on you new Alfa!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you have to replace them both, consider halogen headlamps. Mine are Sylvania and available in many auto parts stores. The H4's would be nice but pricey compared to the sealed beams. Maybe leave that for a later upgrade.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you go for the halogen, be sure to use a relay. The regular sealed beams don't use a relay in the circuit, and you can have problems later with burned contacts. Relay is a must. CiBA, and/or Marchal are good chioces. I replaced my sealed beams long time ago with Ciba, and have never looked back. Bulbs come in a variety of lumens, so you can tailor your lights to your roads.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,853 Posts
Nothing more annoying than having one headlight brighter than the other
I would argue that weasels ripping at your flesh would be more annoying.

Relays are a really good idea, but are not an absolute must for halogens. Even the sealed beams you buy today are all halogens, and I'm reasonably certain the stock headlights on my '91 were Wagner sealed beam halogens. I'm not even sure where you'd buy a non-halogen 7" sealed beam these days.

That being said, relays + H4 headlamps were a big improvement over the stock lighting on the Spider.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,853 Posts
I mean, seriously, look at that picture. That man looks annoyed.

The thing about halogen headlamps is they don't neccesarily pull more current (well, unless they're designed to do so). They are brighter and whiter because they run the filament hotter. They can do this because the halogen gas in the envelope causes a chemical vapor reaction that recycles the metal that deposits on the glass back to the filament. I've always found this kind of cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Gubi - your analysis is good, as far as it goes...but you forgot to ask yourself the NEXT question. WHY are weasels ripping at his flesh?

I think, given our discussion so far, the answer is obvious. Notice how in the newsman's photo above one side of his body is more brightly lit than the other?

I think no more need be said.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Brilliant, Lokki. However, you failed to observe that at least two of the weasels appear to be diving. Hence, the photo journalist was clearly making a poignant note in reference to the publication's title... Man's Life.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the information! I thought that would be the case...wasn't sure. Just bought the Alfa 2 days ago....love it!
Welcome to the world of pain and misery, interspersed with moments of JOY and happiness. Seriously, you love it today, hate it tomorrow and love it again on Friday... I can't think of any car I've owned that was more fun OR gave me more grief. That said, it is customary to post photos, at least with your first query. Kind of surprised I'm the first to say it. Usually the hardcore guys jump on this quickly.... I'd just go with the Halogen sealed beams, Plenty of light from them...

Steve "84" Spider

1 - 13 of 13 Posts