Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Sorry to re-visit this issue again, but I was wondering if I could get some more opinions on the apparent clutch problems in my 1986 Alfa Spider Quadrifoglio (I had the clutch lines and clutch slave replaced last October). Here is what it's doing. After I start the car and pull it out into the driveway (warming up), it usually leaks one four-inch spot of what looks like clutch fluid. It doesn't seem to leak much more than that. The clutch fluid reservoir has stayed full for several months (I check every time I drive it). Sometimes when I'm accelerating above about 3,000 rpms. I get this "slipping" sensation where the engine starts to rev high (almost like I had my foot on the clutch). Other than that, the car seems to drive fine. I have tried the "clutch test" (starting out in a high gear and resulting in stalling) that some people suggested from my last post, and that seemed fine.

Does anyone else have any comments or suggestions as to how I should approach a fix for this issue? Any help would be appreciated!
Steve

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
My guess is that there is some slight leakage of hydraulic fluid at the slave. It'll collect inside the rubber dust boot on the slave then the first use of the clutch (after it has sat for a while) it gets expelled.

It may continue like that for a long while or suddenly fail totally. Rebuild or replace the slave & master cylinders and replace the flex hose, too.

Not sure about the slipping action... Sure it is not leaking oil out the rear crankshaft seal or the front gearbox seal? And thus getting oil onto the clutch?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,546 Posts
the first signs of a slipping clutch usually appear in 5th when accelerating at highway speeds simply because it takes more hp thus more load on the clutch to get from 50 to 60 than it does from 10 to 20.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch slip, cont.

Thanks for your input, guys!

It definitely seems to only "slip" in 5th gear, particularly when I'm accelerating beyond 3 K up the big hill near my house. Would a leaking/badly adjusted slave do something like that? I did have my mechanic replace the slave (re-built unit) and lines (and adjust linkage, etc.) just this past October.

I'm not positive about the nature of the leaking stuff. It definitely does it every time I take it out (but not in the garage when it's just sitting there). The car doesn't seem to use/lose a drop of oil, and as I said before, the clutch reservoir stays full, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
exactly the same issue I had re: slipping
replaced slave and hose . kept getting worse
had to bite the bullet and do a new clutch TO bearing and re surfaced Flywheel along with trans mounts and all boots problem solved

·
Registered
184 Posts
clutch kit around $300.00 from ereminas Ereminas Imports, LLC, Alfa Romeo parts, rebuilds, and repairs
flywheel reground per manual specs, at local machine shop $40.00
did my own work so no labor charges many posts on this sight on how to do a clutch replace ...read them all it can all be done with common tools and on jack stands as long as you do not mind a lot of time under the car
did the trans mount while it was out as well as all the boots on top prob should have done the engine rear seal but looked fine and no weepage seen my spider had slipped a bit since i bought it the first time i drove with good bite on the clutch was a revelation. took a while to quite grinning now for engine mounts, exhaust, fan shroud ,valve adjust ...........ad infinitum :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
just an add took me about 4 days total of actual WORK ( two full weekends ) to do the job
two days on a starter bolt :) could prob do in a weekend now except for machine work

my trans mounts spirex etc were bought from the usual suspects

1 - 9 of 9 Posts