Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the advantage of owning a 1990 over a 1986-89 S3 other than the Motronic injection?
Anything else different?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
Dual electric fans, self-bleeding cooling system with a more modern pressurized expansion tank system, and load-based digital VVT actuation come to mind. Engine has higher compression pistons, 4-into-2 exhaust manifolds, and slightly hotter cams, worth like 10HP on paper, I believe. Digital timing control with no manifold pressure sensor to fail on you.

If you like the S3 body style the '90 is the best of the bunch given the upgrades they did. It's kind of like the '82 where you got the S2.5 body with L-jetronic in that regard: they're both very interesting years.

Edit: also active idle control, now that I'm thinking about it

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1990 and just got a 1986. The 1990 is white and the 1986 is gray/blue metallic. My wife likes the look of the 1986 better than the white 1990. Also have a 1985.
I do like the room in front of the engine on the 1990 versus earlier S3 cars and I like the S3 body style
Somethings gotta go.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I'll buy the 1990 for what you paid for it.

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, I bet you will! :LOL:
Now add in the cost of a new top, a hard top, a new clutch and hydraulics, a rebuilt transmission, new tires, new brake calipers, new pads, new battery, new fuel pumps, sender and hoses, refurbished gas tank, new belts and hoses and whatever else i can't remember and we "might" be talking.
I never should have told you what I paid for it but you already knew. Feelin' the love! LOL
My wife says I should paint the 1990 the same color as the 1986 and keep it. Changing colors is a lot bigger deal than just a repaint of the same color but she does not get that.

Reactions: Jim G

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
Man, if the paint's good I wouldn't respray it (and definitely not to change the color), but you already know that.

My wife (who's a Mech E so pretty technically savvy) is the same way about color. It's like the first thing she cares about and the last thing I do :LOL:

My advice is to keep the '90 and either:

1) Keep putting off the color change decision and eventually she'll get used to the white
2) Put some vinyl racing stripes on it or something to add some color, or heck, do a full vinyl wrap

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The paint is not that good but I still don't want to change the color. Been there before on other cars. I am content with a white car with a tan interior myself. Maybe keep both and sell my red 1985 spider.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
But the 85 has the classic interior. They way there suppose to be.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know and I like that about it. Maybe i just need more garage space and a smaller house.
Maybe if I tell my wife.......... maybe if i just shut up! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Put the 85 interior into the 86. Its a win win.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jim. Even better. Put the 1985 interior in the 1990 and paint it that gray/blue metallic color for my wife. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts