Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
14,611 Posts
Clamp hub in big vice, across the bearing faces. Pick up sledge hammer and swing at the disc ... if It breaks, who cares ...

Most important when using a hammer that you hit HARD

[EDIT]Ensure your car(s), wife/girl friend, kids and fragile items are moved to a safe place incase you miss[/EDIT]
Pete

Reactions: PocketAce

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
An impart like the one in @spiderserie4 's post has never failed to work on stuck screws.
It's a 6MM screw! .. IMPACT driver set in the REVERSE position never fails unless you use the wrong size BIT. You can't use a slotted bit that has any wobble in the slot .. If you deform the slot ..you are screwed .. not UNSCREWED... all bets are off

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,452 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Spider S3 USA Version
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dennis. in my mind it is all about physics. If you played with suction cup darts you know how hard it is to pull a dart straight off it's target. .. Stick a fingernail under it and off it popped. My bet is aa wedge in a vulnerable spot and not much ( The factory made recesses in the rotor for that) and pop goes the weasel.Hammering and deforming anything is not what I had in mind... I have heard of that getting propshafts off... Thanks Jim for the tip
I was just thinking about those recesses this morning. I'm going to try to use them to my advantage.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yea but one of our brethren doesn't have anything smaller than a 10 mm in his garage or tool chest .. assume nothing

Dennis.. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS.. I might be totally off base .. Trot down to your local garage or tire store and ask them for a lesson. They have seen it all and it's not unique to Alfa Romeo.. The time spent is worth it.. I hate learning by stumbling and bumbling.. been there too many times. In fact I just got out from under my brake job. I had full intentions of R&R'ing the rotors with new calipers .. upon further inspection the rotors were barely worn , smooth and true.. Bearings nice and smooth.. so I said "Self you saved a pile of bull-schitt by leaving them alone." Job done .. I'll probably never use the rotors but they are on my shelf.. Car stops as per expected. I don't consider it half-baked.. just very practical for a seasonal driver. and the car isn't barking at me for doing the practical thing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yea but one of our brethren doesn't have anything smaller than a 10 mm in his garage or tool chest .. assume nothing

Dennis.. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS.. I might be totally off base .. Trot down to your local garage or tire store and ask them for a lesson. They have seen it all and it's not unique to Alfa Romeo.. The time spent is worth it.. I hate learning by stumbling and bumbling.. been there too many times. In fact I just got out from under my brake job. I had full intentions of R&R'ing the rotors with new calipers .. upon further inspection the rotors were barely worn , smooth and true.. Bearings nice and smooth.. so I said "Self you saved a pile of bull-schitt by leaving them alone." Job done .. I'll probably never use the rotors but they are on my shelf.. Car stops as per expected. I don't consider it half-baked.. just very practical for a seasonal driver. and the car isn't barking at me for doing the practical thing.
Very true. If I had known then what I know now I might have left the front rotors alone. They have ridges but not that bad. I have never in my 74 years seen an arrangement like this. On all other cars I've worked on the rotor is in FRONT of the hub. You just remove those two pesky screws and the rotor falls off.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yep .. I have you by two years and I had to do a double-take on the parts diagram in disbelief to figure out what those whacko "inganeers" were thinking..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Must have been inganeered by an ex Saab ‘ganeer. They do everything bassakwards.

·
Registered
567 Posts
As suggested I stopped at my local Harbor Freight and picked up an inexpensive impact driver, and with just a couple of solid blows with a BFH the locating screws came right out. Thanks!

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As suggested I stopped at my local Harbor Freight and picked up an inexpensive impact driver, and with just a couple of solid blows with a BFH the locating screws came right out. Thanks!

Best regards,
Great tool. I use mine often. Remember to coat the threads with Never Seize, for the next guy.

Reactions: Monsai52

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I thought I'd close out this thread by reporting that I finally got the hubs and rotors apart by applying a large cold chisel to the seam between the parts and giving it a few solid whacks with a big hammer. Worked a treat. So, if you're struggling to get the two pieces apart, like I did at first, this is how you do it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Remember the Never Seize upon reassembly, for the next guy.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I thought I'd close out this thread by reporting that I finally got the hubs and rotors apart by applying a large cold chisel to the seam between the parts and giving it a few solid whacks with a big hammer. Worked a treat. So, if you're struggling to get the two pieces apart, like I did at first, this is how you do it.
The earliest known wedges made by people were made 2.6 million years ago. Simple stone tools like these are called "Oldowan" tools by archaeologists. In ancient Egyptian quarries, bronze wedges were used to break away blocks of stone used in construction....

21 - 37 of 37 Posts