Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I was cruising nicely this morning on my way to work. I accelerated towards the green light, turned right at the light, and was met by a pedestrian in the crosswalk. I braked hard to not hit the guy, no skid marks, just a sharp braking action.

Just then as the brakes were pressed (hard) the car stalled. It cranked and cranked and started but swiftly died. I tried over and over, it cranks and pops to start but stalls immediately.

Ideas? I'm at work, stuck here, but my gf is coming to bring some tools. I'm going to start by looking at the fuses/relays behind the seats under the speaker deck.

Other ideas?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello All,
I was cruising nicely this morning on my way to work. I accelerated towards the green light, turned right at the light, and was met by a pedestrian in the crosswalk. I braked hard to not hit the guy, no skid marks, just a sharp braking action.

Just then as the brakes were pressed (hard) the car stalled. It cranked and cranked and started but swiftly died. I tried over and over, it cranks and pops to start but stalls immediately.

Ideas? I'm at work, stuck here, but my gf is coming to bring some tools. I'm going to start by looking at the fuses/relays behind the seats under the speaker deck.

Other ideas?

Thanks all!
Take a look at the air hose that goes across the engine to the air filter. If it is loose the engine will start but once you give it gas the motor sucks too much air.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna run outside now and take a look.

Keep the tips coming!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hells Yeah!

Thanks dmarland! You and spiderseries4 were dead-on correct.

The air filter hose was just ever so slightly disconnected to the plenum hose!

Wow, I was ready to tear into the fuel pump relays/fuses, crankshaft sensors etc.

There is was, just disconnected a bit. Called the gf, canceled her appearance, and it cranked right up.

Thanks for the info. Consider this one closed!

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
Great work - Alfa BB to the rescue!

Josh, allow me to take this opportunity to suggest (to everyone - not singling you out) that a subscription to the BB is a worthwhile investment. The $20/year you toss in the kitty helps keep this place alive. I think we can all agree that we get more than our money's worth back.

BTW, now that the air duct is back in place & the engine is running again, I suggest you investigate the motor mounts. As they age & sag they allow the motor to move too much - perhaps that is why the air duct became dislodged? Sagging motor mounts can also allow the fan to strike the shroud - often breaking both. In bad cases the engine can rise up enough to dent the hood!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done!

I'm now a proud Gold Member of the best GD BB out there!

Thanks all. This BB has helped me over a dozen times and I'll be renewing every year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hells Yeah!

Thanks dmarland! You and spiderseries4 were dead-on correct.

The air filter hose was just ever so slightly disconnected to the plenum hose!

Wow, I was ready to tear into the fuel pump relays/fuses, crankshaft sensors etc.

There is was, just disconnected a bit. Called the gf, canceled her appearance, and it cranked right up.

Thanks for the info. Consider this one closed!
joshisgreat,
You are more than welcome. The same thing happenned to me on the way to the golf course one day. I left the car and hoofed it home thinking it was out of gas....duh. After adding gas and no response, I looked under the hood and started wiggling things and found the plennum hose loose. Tada...I went to the course after that and had a good round!!! Keep on loving her....and the girl friend!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts