Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1985 spider wiring diagram

5457 Views 41 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  AnneMarciniak
Anyone have a good source for a 1985 spider wiring diagram? Trying to sort out why I am getting no spark.
Thanks
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Papajam can almost certainly help you.
Anyone have a good source for a 1985 spider wiring diagram? Trying to sort out why I am getting no spark.
Thanks
While having the wiring diagrams is a good thing, the best resource for tracking down the reason for your no spark condition is the L-Jet Diagnostics manual:

https://www.hpsimotorsports.com/l-jetronic--spider-
Hello:
Here is my 1985 diagram courtesy of Papajam; my January 1985 build car had some slightly different colors/arrangement near the ECU under the package shelf and these are noted.

Have you checked the inertia switch under the hood to be sure is reset?
inertia switch? under the hood? where would it be?
I have no spark when trying to start the 1985 alpha spider. I changed battery, changed an expensive bosh relay but still non spark. It was running fine after my son changed the old clutch and changed both fuel pumps... I drove it home. The next morning I tried starting it but it did not fire up. I left it in the driveway for 2 years because of Covit. Today I would like to try again. Can I trace the power to see wgy there is non spark?...Anne PS Im pretty good with a voltmeter.
The inertia switch only cuts power to the fuel pumps. Your 1985 Spider may not have one. If present it is either a black cigarette pack size box or a grey can shaped device with a reset button on top located to the right of the hood latch. But Alfa decided it was not needed with a properly operating Bosch EFI system so the troublesome inertia switch was deleted. In any case it does not affect the ignition system so if there is no spark look elsewhere.

Check the fuses. I think it is fuse #6 or #8 for ignition. The bullet style fuses in our cars can somehow appear OK but fail to allow electrons to pass. Fuses with the aluminum strip are especially prone to this. Fuses with a brass strip are better.

Also, the computers will not power up if available voltage is below ~ 10.5V. It can sound like it is cranking over fine but if the battery is a little weak and the starter motor is drawing down the system voltage then the computers will not send the make spark/squirt fuel signals. A dash gauge (if you have one) is usually not wired to test voltage during cranking. Connect a voltmeter directly to the battery and report what it reads. With everything off a fully charged battery should show 12.6V. 12.3 is 1/2 to 3/4 charged. Next see what it reads while cranking the engine. If it drops below 10.5V, charge up the battery and clean all connections between the battery & the starter - especially the ground cable's connection to the body. That connection is sort of behind the battery - out of sight/out of mind/
See less See more
Thanks for your words. The battery is brand new and its on charge. I feel that when my son changed the, clutch, perhaps he did not pay attention to the 2 flywheel sensors enough. I drove the spider home and noticed very rough engine performance. I felt lucky to make it home i felt. Next morning no spark, that was 2 years ago. When cranking it over, I smell some fuel, so I think the new fuel pumps are getting power. I have the car jacked up and am looking for the 2 sensors. Can you tell me where I can locate them? Once located, I can check resistance as the next test...Thanks, Anne
I should add that the Alpha dealer told me it is probably to do with the last guy that changed the clutch and fuel pumps.
I have the car jacked up and am looking for the 2 sensors. Can you tell me where I can locate them? Once located, I can check resistance as the next test...Thanks, Anne
Click on the link in my signature for a page of info about the L-jetronic system in our cars.

Was the flywheel removed during the clutch job? The flywheel must be installed correctly. It is not doweled and can thus be installed in six positions - 5 wrong & 1 right.

The timing mark is shown at the 16 (the nub for the position sensor at 10). The timing mark has been highlighted with white paint - it is not usually easily seen.
See less See more
Thanks for answering, I just checked and the flywheel was never removed. if i can locate both ends of the sensers then I could perform an ohm test to both sensors....anne
Step one is confirm the presence or absence of spark. No spark = no signal to the drive relay. No signal to the drive relay = no fuel injection.
if i can locate both ends of the sensers then I could perform an ohm test to both sensors....anne
One or both might just have gone bad.
also check the sensor plugs are in good condition and the pins are not pushed back, losing contact.
they're up by the washer bottle.
See less See more
One or both might just have gone bad.
also check the sensor plugs are in good condition and the pins are not pushed back, losing contact.
they're up by the washer bottle.
View attachment 1783897
Thanks again, I will test them sometime today. I notice you have the German flag, what city you from? I went to school in Bremerhaven and have relatives in Lubeck and Kiel.
Hello, I tested both sensors using my ohm tester and they show 0.975, so they are ok. I then checked my 14 fuses located under the drivers side dashboard. Fuses 1 to 5 have 14 volts dc showing on both ends. Fuses 6 to 14 do not have any voltage on both ends...anne
When I turn on the ignition key, fuse 6, 7 and 8 pass 13.5 volts, so they are fine. I cleaned all contacts. Still no spark.
Next, I checked the coil. there are 2 terminals on the coil, #1 and #15. with the ignition key on, I connect my black tester wire on the engine block and red tester to #1 of coil, I get 13 volts. Then I connect red tester wire to #15 of coil and also receive 13 volts. Now I don't know what to do next... anne
Coil volts are good.
Try test the 2 sensors for signal this time.
Same 2 pins, but set meter to volts AC (not DC)
Now crank the starter….. do you get a voltage reading?
Maybe a couple of volts on the one and some millivolts on the other.
Ok, I( tested using AC and I do get 1 volt and some larger numbers on both when I crank the engine over.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts