Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I have a 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce I'd like to sell. I bought this car 4-5 years ago as a project car to work on with my 3 teen aged boys.

The car had a salvage title when we bought it. It had been hit in a parking lot and the right rear quarter damaged. It had been pounded out, covered in bondo and repainted when we bought it. The work was poorly done and bondo and such is cracking now, but on with the story. The car had sat out all winter with the windows down, Stereo stolen by ripping out most of the center console wiring.

Anyhow we got it home, stitched up the seats repair all the wiring, new rear springs, replaced cracked/broken tail lights and got it running. As required by North Dakota it was inspected by a highway patrol officer all the paperwork filed and it was reissued a title then licensed.

We drove it for a couple months and quickly realized it needed major engine work. My boys removed the engine, we measured every part and rebuilt the engine(I'm an airplane mechanic) Crankshaft polished, all new bearings, oil pump etc. We exchanged the head with a rebuilt one from IAP and installed a new New cylinder/piston kit (10:1)

Many other new parts as well including a clutch, driveshaft u-joints, distributor bearings, flushed differential and transmission.

We've put about 20-25K miles on it since then but it has started burning oil again

I did a compression test: all cylinders were between 162-165
I also did a leak down test and they were dropping about 5-7% past the rings(out the breather)
My best guess is it need a set of rings.

It starts and runs well, drives well, but burns oil. Transmission leaks but works great when it's full of oil I have too many projects and need to make room.

It has no rust, cloth convertible top is in pretty good condition. It would be a good project or parts car. I would like to sell it as a complete car to a good home, but will consider parting it out if no one is interested in the whole car.

$1800 OBO

I'm not sure how to post pictures, but if you contact me I can send pictures or take pictures of specific areas
Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those were taken last fall before the deep freeze.
It has about 101,000 miles on it.
The tires have about 15,000 miles on them
A/C does not work, the compressor and evaporator came it a box when I got it.
Windshield washer doesn't work
I think that's all the bad stuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a photo of the cracking bondo.

There is really no rust to speak of anywhere on the car. Some of the suspension arms and such have some surface rust. The spare wheel well has some light surface rust.

The engine bay is not pretty but......
has new silicon hoses.
I didn't mention above but we put in new clutch master and slave cylinders and hose. New brake master cylinder and new hoses.

The coolant overflow tank is missing and a quart oil can is serving that job now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts