Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up a head gasket replacement job on my 85 Spider Veloce.
Used plenty of input from Alfa friends and Vin's step by step pictorial.
While I am waitnig for the head to come back from the machine shop, I am getting concerned about timing the cam shafts.

I found the instructions to align the vernier sprockets and it all makes sense. My only concern is that I have the exhaust cam with the easily adjustable vernier sprockest/lock bolt and a VTT hub on the intake cam. I am hoping the chain lines up perfectly with the VTT/intake cam and no adjsutment is necessary. What are the chances??!!!!
If not, how do I adjust this complicated looking cam as opposed to the simple , vernier design?

I found this excerpt that describes the adjustment of the standard shafts but not the VVT hub cam shaft.

"Drape cloth under both cam sprockets, and wrap safety wire around end of small through bolt and determine which of holes it will now align through to lock the vernier sprocket together. insert the bolt. Don`t attempt to put the nut on unless it is at the top or easy to get at.
Now do the other one.
Once the Vernier sprockets have the lock bolt through them, the nut lightly tightened, AND the chain tensioner locked down! you can turn the motor by hand to get the small nut on the lock bolt through the sprockets.
Once that is done the 22mm nut needs to be tightened with LOCKTITE. Loosen the nut drop a couple of drops on the threads and tighten nut. Since motor will turn with steady pull, a good sharp blow on the end of the wrench with a hammer won`t hurt at the end.
The end."

·
Administrator
17,509 Posts
There is a 'special tool' to hold the VVT cam and a large wrench to loosen the securing nut.

I bought a copy of the tools from Totally Alfa. They look good but I haven't actually needed to use it yet. Perhaps it is luck but after rebuilding the engine and replacing the camshafts the intake cam lined up perfectly and only the exhaust cam needed adjustment to align the marks.

If you would like to borrow the tools and are willing to pay shipping you are welcome to use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric,!!
I may take you up on that offer.
It seems as though I might get lucky and the VVT cam will line up??

It does not appear to be too big of an issue if the VVT shaft needs to be moved.....sometimes I get myself worked up over nothing.

I belive I can get my hands on a 55mm spanner wrench or have one made on a waterjet in town. As far as the "variator holder" this might be difficult to make. I would certainly appreciate the use of yours and I would email you my Fed Ex number if it comes to that.

Thanks Again!,
Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts