Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hope there is an easy solution for this, given the symptoms...
Well here it is-
I just came home with my new Alfa. I have TONS of work to do to it but the first I want to take care of is all of the gauges.
I went to drive it for the first time (after I bought it) and ALL of the gauges are non-functional. The temp gauge is sticking about in the middle, but that's it (is there even when it turns off). no activity otherwise. Not even the tach or speedometer.
So does anyone have any ideas?
If it helps- everything in the console was unplugged. it was all torn apart so I tried to plug everything I could back in. No go.
If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
1) send BB member PapaJam a Private Message and ask for copies of his color-coded wire diagrams for your model Alfa. Include your email address and he send some .pdf files that will make chasing Alfa electrons much easier.

2) replace all the fuses. Even if they look OK when they get old they just quit working.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I went to drive it for the first time (after I bought it) and ALL of the gauges are non-functional. The temp gauge is sticking about in the middle, but that's it (is there even when it turns off). no activity otherwise. Not even the tach or speedometer.
The speedometer/odometer on the '85 is mechanical, not electrical. It is driven by a cable that runs from the rear/left end of the transmission. The temperature gauge should be right in the middle at operating temperature. It does not immediately go down when the car is shut off but will eventually go to the left as the engine cools down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thanks. Then that makes one gauge working. And I just discovered that the cable is unhooked and there was a new one in the trunk of the car. How..... Convenient. Thanks! Also, does anyone know which wires connects where on the fan switch? There are something like five of them here... It also has factory air, and the switch isn't working... Wiring, or switch itself?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
The fan switch is a big pain. As Eric mentioned, Papajam is your go-to for all things electrical. His wiring diagrams will help you get things straightened out in short order.

In the meantime, do you have any pictures of your car?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
fan switch wiring

Great. Thanks. Then that makes one gauge working. And I just discovered that the cable is unhooked and there was a new one in the trunk of the car. How..... Convenient. Thanks! Also, does anyone know which wires connects where on the fan switch? There are something like five of them here... It also has factory air, and the switch isn't working... Wiring, or switch itself?
Your blower switch may or may not be functional, but here is how it should be wired up:

There are 5 terminals on the back, but one of them, on one end, is cut short and not used. That one is terminal 5.

At the opposite end of the switch is terminal 1. It should have two Yellow with Black tracer wires connected to it. When when the switch is activated, those wires deliver the "juice", one of them to the fan motor, and the other to the fan bulb in the instrument cluster (to indicate that the fan is on).

Next to terminal 1 is terminal 2. That terminal is also not used.

Terminal 3 should have two pink wires connected to it. One of those delivers 12 volts to the switch from fuse #7, and the other continues to carry "hot" voltage to the clock.

And terminal 4 should have a single solid Yellow wire connected. That also carries "juice" to the fan to power the "High" speed motor.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Your blower switch may or may not be functional, but here is how it should be wired up:

There are 5 terminals on the back, but one of them, on one end, is cut short and not used. That one is terminal 5.
Edward,

I think that the switch on the OP's '85 may be a little different -- at least it is on my '85. My blower switch has 8 terminals on the back plus a terminal for the switch light. Not all of the terminals are used.

Here's the wiring diagram:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/172146-fan-heater-blower-swith-green.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts