Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, here's the story. I just inherrited this car that was in storage for 9 or 10 years. I've read alot of infomation on the BB and it is all good. The body is nice and straight, a few minor dings here and there. The car wont start, here is what I have done so far: 1. charged the battery, 2. confirmed spark from the coil, 3. compression tested the cylinders. I am looking for help and or direction on this car. I am mechanically inclined and have a decent amount of tols at home and even more tools at work.

If someone has ever had this situation and has some detailed info on where to start and how to procede, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,527 Posts
A fuel pressure gauge Teed into the hose to the cold start valve will be a big help to you in troubleshooting your problem. You can get one from Harbor Freight for less than $20. I would install it so that you can leave it in for a while after you get the car running as fuel problems can have a habit of returning after you think they have gone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed, thanks for the response. I will take you up on the advice. Im guessing that there should be fuel pressure at the CSV. I have looked at the L-Jetronic guide, so I think I should be able to handle this fairly easily. Please feel free to post any other advice...

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
The CSI (Cold Start Injector) is located at the rear end of the intake. It has a blue plastic wire harness connector. There is a 6"-8" long rubber fuel hose from the fuel rail to the CSI. The CSI's end of the hose is attached with a hose clamp. Undo that, add an appropriate fitting to connect a fuel pressure gauge and add an extra bit of hose to connect from the fitting to the CSI. (Don't cut the existing fuel hose because when you are done measuring fuel pressure you'll want to remove the extra fitting and re-attach the hose directly to the CSI.

I suggest you go through all the tests/checks outlined in the L-jet diagnosis page. L-jet is a system - all the bits have to be working for it to run.

For a car that has sat unused that long I would suggest removing the fuel injectors for service. The internal passages are quite small and easily clogged with stale fuel residue. If so, there is little you can add to the tank to clear them out. Proper servicing will include pre-cleaning flow and leak tests followed by an ultrasonic bath and cycling solvents through the injectors. A post-cleaning test will show the improvement. See: Cruizin Performance or our own Greg Gordon's OK Injectors.

With the fuel rail & injectors removed it would be the ideal time to replace the fuel rail to injector hoses. Make sure you get the right size hose. They need 7mm ID fuel injection hose. You'll likely not find that size at the local auto supply store. IAP sells it by the foot. You'll need a few inches for each injector plus the 6"-8" for the CSI. The places that service fuel injectors might sell it, too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric,
Thank you for the pic and the detailed info. I did read the entire L-jet diagnostic and am conviced I will need to go through the system as it explains. I did, however, spray some fuel into the intake and cranked the motor, and it ran. I am convinced the problem is with the fuel system, so going through it from start to finish will ensure that portion is operating properly as I intend to use this as an every day runner.

I would really like to get the vehicle running nice, and then choose portions and rebuild them. Eventually, I wouldnt mind completely rebuilding the engine as well. Im sure plenty of folks on the BB have been through these things, so any and all advice is welcomed...

Mike
1985 Spider Graduate

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My advice: It's a process so go slow and don't get frustrated!!

You will be rewarded for all of you efforts in the end with a SWEET car that is a joy to drive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have an 84 spider in a similar situation. With new gas & battery, it cranks well but does not turn over. I smell gas from the exhaust pipe, so I presume it is getting fuel but no spark. One friend suggested I check the crank sensor(s), and another said to go through the L-jet diagnostics. I intend to do both when it's warmer (the car is not in a garage).

How did you spray fuel (ether?) into the intake? Good luck to both of us! Dickson

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dickson,
I had to take apart the air intake. I opened the throttle and sprayed fuel into the intake. Then during cranking, the motot turned over.

All,
I was going throught bits of the system, and found that a wire on the in tank fuel pump was broken. I have some pics attached. What is the procedure for repairing this wire? Can it be repaired or does it need to be replaced? If repaird, what are the cautions as it is submerged in the fuel?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
just soder it..and put some heat srink tubing on it to close it.. easy work:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bianchi,
Ok, i can handle that. I just wanted to make sure as it is submerged in fuel most of the time. I dont really want the fuel tank exploding...

Mike
1985 Spider Graduate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts