Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I got the car running and sounding good. I cannot put it in geat as the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor and when I try to shift into gear, the transmission grinds. I know it is a hydraulic clutch, but I was wondering if there are any adjustments that can be made or is the clutch in need of replacement.

I did check the master cylinder and it was dry, so I topped it off with some brake fluid. The clutch pedal did stiffen up a little bit. I had a helped push the pedal in and out and went under the car to see the acuation. I noticed a small leak at the boot by what I think is called the clutch fork. Is this just a grease/dirt cap with a hose/line underneath? or is the boot holding fluid inside and if leaking needs to be replaced?

Is there a slave cylinder on this vehicle?

Does anyone have any helpful info to get this task accomplished?

I am very mechanically inclined, have plenty of tools, and can follow instructions...

The BB has been extremely helpful in getting the car running, so I expect you guys will have some great info/guides to share.

I appreciate all your help...

·
Administrator
17,383 Posts
The clutch itself is probably OK - they are quite sturdy as long as the PO didn't use it to hold the car on a hill at every red light.

What your car needs is new clutch actuating hydraulics. It has a master cylinder & slave cylinder connected by a steel line and flex hose. Plan on replacing the master, slave & flex hose. Inspect the steel line - if not damaged or corroded it can usually be re-used (left in place).

The slave cylinder is attached to the bell housing with a pair of circlips. Get a sturdy set of circlip pliers with bent tips. And a wire brush & can of PB Blaster. And a book of Italian swear words. And a box of bandaids (I like the flexible fabric knuckle type...).

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,
Thanks for the info. I will be checking this all out early next week as my wife has plans for me for the weekend. I will start with a further inspection of all the parts since you provided the picture with the info. I did find that the master cylinder was empty, so I filled it and had the wife pump the clutch pedal to fill the lines with fluid. I kept filling it until it would nt take any more. The clutch pedal seemed to stiffen up a little bit. I went under the car and found the rubber boot on the Slave cylinder leaking. I wasnt sure if this was like a grease/dirt cover. I will pull it all apart and have a look for the leaks, but I will most likely replace like you said.

Hopefully this will get me out onto the road to test drive the car and feel it out...

·
Administrator
17,383 Posts
Simply putting fluid in the reservoir will not do. The system needs to be bled - air expelled. But if the slave is leaking it won't last.

When you install the new parts it will then need to be bled. Make sure the slave is rotated so that the bleed screw is uppermost (12 O'clock) to get all air out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All,
OK, back from the weekend trip and I got the clutch slave cylinder pulled out. The body appears to be in good shape, see photo below. I think I am going to go the rebuild kit route, due to economics. How does the slave cylinder come apart? Is the end cap screwed on and I need to use a strap wrench to remove it? While I am at it should I rebuild the master cylinder as well? The hose appears to be in good shape, but I am going to replace it. I inspected the steel line running from the master cylinder to the hose and it is in good shape with no visible corrosion or leaks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,383 Posts
No, nothing to unscrew. The piston should have come out once the rubber boot was removed. Try pushing the piston in and suddenly releasing it. Hopefully momentum and the spring's force will move the piston out. If not a gentle application of compressed air via the fluid intake port (bleed screw closed) should encourage it to move. Unless is totally seized...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric,
ok the compressed air did the trick. Now, how do I replace the seals? Do I just pry the old ones out with a screwdriver and then stretch the new ones over the piston body? Thanks again...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts