Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a the car painted, and the seats redone, and a new carpet set sitting in a box, everything ready to go.
Ok, that was a couple of years ago.
Then we had 2 kids, moved to a new house, and now I'm ready to get her back on the road.
While she's been in my garage waiting for me, my list of things to do has only gotten larger.

So this week I've got some time set aside to tear up the old carpet and install the new one

I wasn't going to pull up the Jute, things looked good everywhere and besides, why make more work for myself? But then my curiosity got the best of me. Why did I do it?
Picture was taken right before I found the rust spot about 3 inches to the right of the hole actually went all the way through. Size of a quarter now, but I'm guessing it is a bit bigger and likely 3X5 area. Everything else is really just surface rust. I've circled it in red

And now I have a lot more work in front of me.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull up the the passenger side as well - see if it is as bad or worse.
Is welding a metal patch the only solution? I am under the impression that no other solution is as permanent as new metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good find, I have spent years reading the spider forums and really ignored the other forums pretty much wholesale. Wow I've really missed some relevant posts

Since my car is not driveable at the moment - I hadn't even considered taking it somewhere to get the welds done and I had begun looking at welding equipment on craigslist

This KBS product looks like it may be just what I need, if the rust is limited to a couple of spots.

I'll check in with 73alfetta to see if he's still pleased with the repair, and if any rust came through

And i'll start reading some of the other boards

THANKS!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
passenger side

I didn't think much of it at the time, but there was a bit of an indentation/dent on the driver side. The photo doesn't really show it well, I had already bent it back to normal . But that would likely have caused a bit more puddling in the driver well.

The passenger side was really clean, I mean, for a 30 year old car.

The plugs have rusted through on both sides, i'll replace them.
I was thinking, do they make those plugs out of Zinc? Anyone affix zinc plates (kind of like in the boating world)
Just a thought

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts