Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1985 Spider- Great Driver - $1,500

I found this Spider on the Alfa BB in September of 2009 and bought it from Andrew Watry in Berkeley. The car had had a ton of money spent on it, but it quit running; and after more money was spent on it without fixing it, the owner (in Seaside, CA) sold it to Andrew to get it out of his life. You can find Andrew's saga about getting it running here on the BB in the Spider section.

The car has 108,61 miles on it. I bought it at around 106,000 miles and enjoyed driving it around the Bay area last year while I was visiting with my daughter there. But since I have moved back to southern California I am not driving it much anymore. Plus, I am getting ready to begin a work project that will last several months and will require constant travel. So it is time to let someone else enjoy it.

I bought it because of all of the reconditioning expense it had received. Among other things, it had a newly-rebuilt transmission and new clutch package, recent valve job, and a new E-Z On cloth top. Plus, Andrew's fiddling got it to pass California Smog! The engine starts right up, no smoke or running issues. It is an excellent driving Spider, probably the best I have ever driven (it's my first Bosch car - all of my other Spiders were either SPICA or Weber). In the couple of thousand miles I have driven it, I have gently broken in the transmission so that it shifts smoothly now, with the stiffness and knotchiness of new synchros gone.

Pretty much everything works except the heater fan. There is a high dollar sound system in it, but Andrew cut power to it in his efforts to get it running, his theory being that it draws a lot of power. I left it inoperative, since I prefer to hear the Ansa exhaust anyway! The stock wheel (pictured in the trunk) goes with it, not the old Racemanrk I installed to give me more leg room.

The only thing I have done is have the front end aligned and replace the front tires. They are 195/60 and the rears are 205/60.

As you cane tell in the pictures, it needs paint BADLY. If I were keeping it, I would sand and mask it myself, and then have MAACO spray it with their Ambassador paint job. There are no rust issues. None.

I paid $1500 for the car and that is what I want for it. As Andrew pointed out when I bought it from him, the engine, transmission and rear end are worth that. I agree, don't you?

I am in Whittier, which is the Los Angeles area. I can take more pictures, or I invite you to come took at it and drive it if feasible.

Ted Atkins
(OldAlfaGuy)
562-699-2265
562-889-3176 (cell)
for Internet communication, please use email at [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ok, I already spoke to Ted and I will be looking at the car tomorrow morning, hopefully the trunk is big enough to sleep in it... you know, those wifey things... LOL
Gilles

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
I can attest this was one of the best driving/running Bosch Spiders ever. I missed it immediately. Good luck with the sale Ted.
Andrew

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can attest this was one of the best driving/running Bosch Spiders ever. I missed it immediately. Good luck with the sale Ted.
Andrew
Andrew you are right, I drove this car yesterday and was impressed how nice the power delivery is, (I drove my X1/9 the previous day) and somehow I was expecting to rev the engine to get on the power band but is amazing how much torque you get on the lower rpm range, also the gearbox is super smooth.

As a bonus, Ted (owner), being a certified gear head kindly show us his garage with two racing Alfas among many cool spares laying around

My son is trying to decide if the Spider will work well for him, because when we were driving it, he casually mentioned "I do like this car, perhaps we could swap and I will drive your Verde.." :p

Therefore I guess that we will be searching for another Milano... (after tax season..)

Thank you Ted.

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
Bosch engines are really tuned for torque delivery, not high rpm, even more than Spica cars. Makes them great real-world cars.
I have a Milano Gold to sell soon. Going for a smog today. But I'm in NorCal.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew,

I'm in one of those periodic "inventory reduction" modes, so I need to stay focused on that objective, much as I'd love to consider it. I've never owned a V6 Alfa. And that is own my bucket list.

Ted

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
Smogged it today and it passed. Not as clean as in July, but passed by a big margin. NOx reported as 0 at both 15 and 25 mph, which cannot be right, but that's what the printout said. Will take pics and post here in a day or two.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
Gilles, looks champagneish to me, but the original window sticker agrees with you, silver metallic, cress velour interior.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
I have tow capacity on a dolly headed north from Northridge/Oxnard this weekend (1/29-1/30). If someone in the Bay Area or en route there wants this car, I'll tow it for gas money. I towed it home from Monterey a couple years ago, and am happy to tow it again.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,185 Posts
I delivered my Giulietta Saturday near Santo's, and there the Spider was. Kind of a reunion of two of my cars.
Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts