Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on this 85 for my son for about a month now. New floors, inner fender wells repaired, new timing belt and tensioner, rocker cover gaskets, new hoses, general tune up bits, radiator boil out and test, power coat exhaust manifolds, front and rear brake pads and discs and now I am moving to fix the sloppy gear linkage.

I have removed the exhaust, disconnected the linkage below the shift lever and have driven out the roll pin on the shift rod using a rivet gun and backing it up with a bucking bar...worked great...

But now, I cannot separate the rod from the link arm attached to the transmission....any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks Ed

·
Registered
253 Posts
I rebuilt the shift linkage on my 85 GTV6 a few years ago. I cannot remember the part your talking about. I bought a kit from Performatek. Its the Monkey Shifter Kit.

Is the part your talking about in the picture?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.. it is item 10.. I removed the roll pin (pointer B) and the shift rod will not come off item 12 and 21...it is currently soaking in penetrating oil. will hope this works....i think the next step will be to cut a relief cut along the frozen area...then weld it up if i get it off.

I have ordered this kit.. i hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Hi Hawker

I've never had a problem getting those items apart once the roll pin is removed, but if I did, I would use heat and lots of it. I've been using a new penetrating oil from Seafoam called Creep I think. Seems pretty good.

Bye

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Seafoam Creep Rules,,, Performatec Rules,,,,
Not necessarily in that order.

A tight shift linkage is a beautiful thing,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts