Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Gotta agree with X ... white is one of the finest colors for this car

I am curious how much did it cost to put the two new TRX tires on the front last year?

I *love* the phone-dial wheels ... but next time I get a GTV6 I am going to have to either get one without TRX rims or do the mods. They are just too hard to keep these days.
Coker Tires in Chatanooga bought the molds and technology from Michelin, to keep producing the TRX tires. So you can still buy brand new ones thru them. Last I heard, and this may be dated info, they sold for around $275 +S&H each. You may be able to check current Coker prices on their website?

They are exact to the originals, including the tread and Michelin logos. That also means the 1985 construction and materials are replicated exactly, too.

The phone dials are my favorite wheels. When you said "do the mods"... does that mean there is a way to machine or modify the TRX rims to accept 15" tires?

As a trained car designer, I too prefer white, red, or a light color on this body. In trans design, you learn that the glass area is always read as a medium-to-dark grey. If you paint a car metallic charcoal the window graphics disappear... you may as well have painted the whole car a dark grey primer, including the glass. You'll get just a singular shape. The arched opposing curves of the side glass on the GTV6 make the design. If the green house glass and the body color are in high contrast (especially with all the pillars and trim surrounding the glass painted one dark color, as in the above example)... the car also looks lighter. As it naturally appears as tho you took the glass portion and threw it away, visually reading only the remaining body.

If you have a car with ugly window graphics, hide it with a charcoal or black paint job. If your car has beautiful window graphics, show it off with a light contrasting color. White, in itself, helps make the entire car look lighter too.

Metallic charcoal is the worst, as it makes the car subliminally look like it was machined from a billet of heavy steel. Having said that... my current 3.0 GTV6 is charcoal. My next one (currently a project) will not be.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Beautiful GTV6, by the way. You should be able to find a nice home for it. Make sure the next owner has some nice twisty roads nearby... this car (as you must know) is not only beautiful, but can make you giggle like a little girl in the corners.

When you sell it, if the new owner needs replacement parts for those non-working issues... you can send them to me. I have 2+ GTV6 bone cars as organ donors, for my own projects and for others.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks Susan,

If your TRX rims and tires seem to adversely affect your selling price... I have some stock 1981-84 Campy rims, and some stock 1986 'wine glass' rims. Both 15", of course.

You can use that in your sales pitch, if it helps quell that argument. I'm not suggesting that you get those from me before selling. You can just mention that the metrics are easily swapped out, to any concerned buyer.

Like many... I wish someone would manufacture a 15" version of the phone dial design. Problem solved!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I concur with Zinhead. I've had all 3 stock rim designs (Campys, TRX, and wine glasses). I've swapped them around on a whim more than once. No issues there.

I also agree that TRX rims only mate up with Michelin TRX tires. If you have the Speedline TRX rims, you're stuck with the metric tires.

It was Michelin's hope, that since everything else had gone metric, if they were the first out with a metric tire... Good Year and the rest would have to follow suit, and be left in the dust for a year or two, before catching up. One year and done. Metric sizing didn't catch fire... so Michelin's clever plan backfired on them.

Still wish there was a way to easily modify those 'phone dials' to accept a 15" or 16" tire, tho! Boo Hoo!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.