Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to replace my exhaust where the cat is to try and rid my car of the horrible rasping rattle sound that I have been advised is the thing to do. However Centre line are and have been for a long time out of stock. I called them and they suggested that I take it to an exhaust shop and just have them cut out and replace the cat. Has anyone done this before and is there a type of cat that I should be asking for or will anyone do. Im in NY state FYI.

Thanks

Andy

· Administrator
19,177 Posts
That is what I had done with our '84 Spider. Replacement catalytic converters should be readily available. And a modern cat will flow exhaust gases better than the ancient Alfa one.

If the O2 sensor is of unknown vintage it'd be a good idea to also change that.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I had done with our '84 Spider. Replacement catalytic converters should be readily available. And a modern cat will flow exhaust gases better than the ancient Alfa one.

If the O2 sensor is of unknown vintage it'd be a good idea to also change that.
ok thanks so any old cat whatever they have? not to sure what the O2 sensor thing is? should it have a date on it?

· Registered
1,136 Posts
A universal cat that will fit the space underneath and has close to the same pipe diameter will do. The muffler shop will take care of you on that. I got rid of my cat and made my own setup. O2 sensor is on the downpipe before the cat.

· Premium Member
3,441 Posts
ok thanks so any old cat whatever they have? not to sure what the O2 sensor thing is? should it have a date on it?
The O2 sensor is in afitting on the exhaust and is used by the fuel injection to help achieve the correct air/fuel ratio.
No dates are on them but they are not expensive to replace

· Registered
1987 Spider
157 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.