Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying headers and the ansa performance exhaust from IAP this winter, do I need to do anything to the injectors and is there some pollution control stuff that can be removed?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Headers by themselves will not give you a whole lot of effect. If you want to pursue that route then go with Magnaflow exhaust system or another tuned exhaust that will contribute to bottom end torque. Otherwise save your ducats...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the Ansa exhaust would give it the effect of a tuned exhaust. What about the injectors and pollution control?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also thinking of sending in the injectors to be gone over and cleaned. Any ideas of who to send them to and what it might cost?

·
Registered
216 Posts
i'm looking at doing the exact same thing on mine. With IAP headers, no cat, center muffler and a stinger in the back, would the exhaust sound be more "symphonic"?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I thought the Ansa exhaust would give it the effect of a tuned exhaust. What about the injectors and pollution control?
Sorry, must have skimmed over the Ansa part. Perhaps Ansa will work. When I was thinking about throwing on a header onto my Berlina, the general consensus was Magnaflow system. The Ansa from IAP is the muffler with tips, not the header back system.

here are several bb threads to shed a better light on the subject:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/297178-1987-spider-exhaust-type-recommended.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/2414-ansa-versus-oem-rear-exhaust.html

If you read through them, you will note that Magnaflow is highly regarded. Maybe a bit too loud but then it depends what you want out of the system.

Your car is Bosch so you will need to retain the 02 sensor.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Not that you would drive your car in the snow but the Ansa is nowhere near as well built as the Magnaflow so if salt may ever be an issue, I'd get a different can.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just finished putting an early, 9'73/'74) stock system in my 1983 S3. Stock two piece manifold, early down pipe, (welded in an 02 sensor bung), no cat, stock center muffler and stinger pipe. I think it sounds good, deeper than before and not too loud.
I also noticed that I can now rev and get power over 4,000 rpms, I think my old cat was somewhat plugged or collapsed internally. However, I also noticed that now when I am revving over 4K, say 4,500rpms and above I have a lot of vibration coming through, which feels like the driveshaft is out of balance. While the exhaust was out I also added the poly trans mount stiffener thingy, so that I am sure is contributing in transferring vibration too.
I guess the winter project is replace the transmission with the one I believe is good and while I'm at it go through the drive shaft center bearing etc. and get the drive shaft balanced if needed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Exhasut

i'm looking at doing the exact same thing on mine. With IAP headers, no cat, center muffler and a stinger in the back, would the exhaust sound be more "symphonic"?
That is the setup I have. No added power or problems. But it sure sounds great!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
nocoast.. question do love you children and grand kids????? then keep the cat. cats now days are not restrictive at all a spun metal cat like I told you yesterday will work great . you inherit the world form you children and childerns, childrens, it is not your to mess it up..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts