Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

144K views 1K replies 60 participants last post by  horsewidower 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally, finally made its way to my home. I purchased this GTV6 from a buddy last year, but the impetus to get it home really didn't happen until he decided to move.

The car has been sitting for about 3 years. We resisted the natural inclination to start it to help get it on the trailer, because I wanted to drain the old gas first.

So on a very wet, Northern California, President's Day, we yanked (and by we, I mean him...LOL) yanked the ignition switch (lost key), aired up the tires and pushed it out of his back yard, onto a trailer, and hauled it the hour and a half to my home.

Now it will need to wait it's turn to get into the rotation.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A picture dump for future reference.

Vertical surfaces cleaned up pretty well, horizontal will need to have a Comet wash.

Horizontal surface clear is shot.

Attachments

#4 ·
Some more

Attachments

#6 ·
LOL, it's Maratona, not Maratonna.

How does one fix a thread title?

Bob

#9 ·
It's good to be the genie, eh?! Thanks a bunch.

I'll see if I can find out about the wheel manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I purchased a "clay-mitt" product from nanoskin in order to try and get the grunge off the rest of the surfaces. We'll see if I can get that to work.

I'll also drain the gas tank, check the various belts, check the plugs, spray a bit of the appropriate fluids in the cylinder and hot wire it at some point this weekend. Provided it doesn't pour. Yet again.

Bob

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing,
I understand the Maratona consisted of cosmetics, like the Balocco - and I love the looks!

Best wishes for an easy transition to roadworthiness!

How's the interior?
- Art

#14 ·
How's the interior?

- Art

Seats are dry, badly need some rejuvenation. Sunroof doesn't seal, it needs all the accumulated garbage pulled out of the back seal area.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

#15 ·

While I'm waiting for cam locks for the LS, it's time to fiddle with this. Only part I dread is draining the bad gas.

#16 ·
Fuel is drained...only to have a "smack yourself in the forehead" moment.

No keys...so no key for the gas cap. SMH

Some funky work on the fuel pump and filter, I'll have to address it.

Exhaust is hanging by only a couple of rubber rings. Down pipes to the catalyst are crushed on both sides. They, the muffler and cat look original to the car. I better start pricing those parts. Sprayed all the applicable bolts with rust penetrant. It looks like some recent work was done, as a few of the nuts were new.

I'll pull the plugs tomorrow.

Wheels are by Compomotive.

#17 ·

Current exhaust system, stock except for Ansa rear.

#18 ·

The interior is dry; needs a good cleaning and leather care.

Sunroof is a problem. I need to figure out how to take it out and R&R the mechanism.

#19 ·
Long day of cleaning and looking for rust. So far, no rust. It'll be interesting if that holds true when I pull the cladding.

My little steam cleaner is worth every penny. Still a long way to go.

#20 ·
Methinks you got a diamond in the rough there.

After the past three years restoring and upgrading an '86 with my son Mike (his car, actually), what I don't understand is how people can just let these Alfas sit for years. A GTV 6 is so much raw fun, has so much character, and performs so well... I just don't get it!

I sure wish I had one myself, but getting our gal Susy into and through college is our next priority. Maybe afterwards...

Reactions: horsewidower
#21 ·

Who knew it would clean up so well. Again, the picture is more than kind.

#22 ·
I've been reading up on the issues relating to ignition, door and hatch keys...bummer. Oh, and gas cap. Three different key types. I don't have any of those keys. Keys4classics will get some action tomorrow. I have no codes, nor keys. I didn't realize how much had to be done to just get the door locks out.

It might be most effective to put in a remote door locking system.

This might turn out to be the most vexing part of this resurrection. I'm actually considering whether or not to buy a parts car just to get the keys and locks...LOL

#23 ·
Ignition and fuel door dropped off at another locksmith.

Still cleaning the car, looking for rust. You could plant potatoes in some areas.

#24 ·

Bare wires going into the distributor. Doesn't it just give you confidence?!

#25 ·
There was a recent thread on this connector, and the fact that this is a known potential problem item. If I recall, someone posted a link for either the connector, or the terminals.

Reactions: horsewidower
#26 ·
And the gifts keep coming

#27 ·

#28 ·

Bosch Platinum WR7DP. .030

My plug socket was too thick. I might not have gotten keys, but thankfully it came with the plug wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.