Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

144K views 1K replies 60 participants last post by  horsewidower 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally, finally made its way to my home. I purchased this GTV6 from a buddy last year, but the impetus to get it home really didn't happen until he decided to move.

The car has been sitting for about 3 years. We resisted the natural inclination to start it to help get it on the trailer, because I wanted to drain the old gas first.

So on a very wet, Northern California, President's Day, we yanked (and by we, I mean him...LOL) yanked the ignition switch (lost key), aired up the tires and pushed it out of his back yard, onto a trailer, and hauled it the hour and a half to my home.

Now it will need to wait it's turn to get into the rotation.

Attachments

See less See more
#592 ·
Contractors = fewer car parts.

No bueno. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#593 ·
Many years ago I painted our house and I had to stand near the top of a cheap 32 ft ladder. That thing swayed a lot when I has half way up but was not as bad at the top. I painted the tall chimney stacks from the top of the ladder with a paint brush tied to the end of a broom handle. I only did it once. Next time it needed painting I got vinyl siding.
Years later a guy came into our office at work asking did we know anyone who could lend him a 24 ft ladder. I replied that I would give him my 32 ft. He said that he only wanted to borrow it. I said that I was not offering to lend it to him and that he had to take ownership of it. That way I was never tempted to get on it again.

#594 ·
Positive affirmation.

I took the car to the country gas station. When walking into the store, I involuntarily looked back at the car...always a good thing.

When I was pumping gas a young man ( at this point most are) came over to ask "what is that?" Always a great moment. At this point there is no brand or model identification on the car. We had a great conversation.

These are great days.

I was concerned about pumping gas, given some threads I've read...no problem. Just had to lean into the nozzle.

#597 ·
Hey Bob, glad its finally going, it'll just keep getting better now, I have some extra speedometers and such if needed. Also have a Milano speed sensor box somewhere, if the trans is the one you got from me you will need it. The Milano had a different speedometer set up. Have a digiplex converter too, just need to figure how to wire it up. Send me a text if you're interested in any of this stuff or are ready for another meet up.

#598 ·
You are first on the list of people that I intend to visit with a running car. If I get my hall pass from the DMV (plates or paper or something...) on Tuesday, I'll see when you are available. Text will be sent.

Bob

#599 ·
It's TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#600 ·

#602 ·
Now we play the game of "what will a LEO pull me over for". I drove it to the smog station with non-operating front headlights and front turn signals, but I stuck my arm out and used the old hand turn signals. Don't think I'll get away with that for long. Also, I'll put the rear bumper back on, that absence will no doubt attract attention like flies to carrion. The front looks a lot more integrated once the air dam was mounted.

When it comes to the DMV, shouldn't have to show up there again...forever. Send in my fees every year, and smog it every other and we should stay away from that hellmouth.

Of course...I have a GTV that has to go through much the same, although hopefully no smog inspection. I know it doesn't need a sniffer test, but I wonder if they are going to require a visual for the initial sticker approval. But that's a narrative for a different thread.

#603 ·
Oh, and this thread won't get parked anytime soon. Sooooooooooooooo much left to do.

#604 ·
We in Washington state are so lucky in that after 25 years, the cars are no longer smogged. And the check wasn't that bad in any case, the limits being just those of the year of manufacture. The Alfas were always clean, never failing, and even several times, the guy would ask, is this car actually running? Couldn't even check the gas cap, as their equipment didn't fit the filler neck, lol. Plus, they didn't care what the car looked like, what other equipment it might not have had.

#608 ·
Spent all weekend on house stuff.

I did mount the rear plate, but there is no obvious solution for the front, sans bumper.

I'm thinking about making a mount that fits to the bumper/absorber tube.

Also pulled the rear bumper and "duck tail" from storage in order to prep for use.

Before commencing with any serious driving, I need to get the lights working and install locks.

Bob

#611 ·
Move to Georgia. We just expanded the tag law to be able to use YOM "(year of manufacturer) to 1989. Plus no front tag.

#614 ·
You will also need the warning label for cancerous causing materials in the zip ties. Plus the it may contain lead label also.

#616 ·
Tell them you think it has a bomb in it. That will get their attention.

#617 ·
You misunderstand my intent, I want to drive the car, not have them blow it up...if anyone blows it up it'll be me.

#619 ·
Surveying the lock situation. Before finding the replacements with key (thanks William!), I read two things during my search for the "no key" solution. 1. Alfetta lock cylinders can replace GTV6 cylinders, and they use a normal key. True, they use a normal key, but it's not an easy plug and play. Quite a bit of thinking will be necessary, and modification will be required. 2. There are serial numbers on the lock cylinders that, when provided to a locksmith with the proper equipment, will allow a key to be cut. I haven't been able to find said number.

#620 · (Edited)
Have you got a key that fits in the lock, but of course does not permit unlocking (yet)?

If this is the case, remove the barrel from the lock and insert the key and you will see the "fingers" of the barrel stick up where the key needs to be modified. Measure from the key end of the barrel in to that "finger" sticking up. Remove the key measure from where the key goes into the barrel that same distance and file the key until that "finger" that was sticking up doesn't stick up anymore.

Repeat this process until all "fingers" do not stick up and that key will now unlock the car :). Locks of this type are a very simple design. Been there and done this with a Simca (actually I just filed the fingers that were sticking up down as a quick a dirty solution).
Pete

#621 ·
Well, the rose colored glasses are off. I can tell I'm into the develop the car stage.

Today's bit longer drive was disappointing. I can no longer ignore the vibrating driveline, and while trail braking into a hard right, 15mph posted turn, the braking issue reared its ugly head again. I can also smell some burning oil.

4 weeks until my son's wedding, so time is short at the moment. But, I should get a few moments to work on the car.

#623 ·
I thought about doing that. Still thinking about it. It's a good solution.

#624 · (Edited)

Had a couple of moments to play with the car this weekend. I drove it on Saturday to pick up 5 gallons of fuel for the mower.

Today, I had a short bit of time. It's supposed to rain mid-week. Last time I washed the car, the sunroof pissed all over me when I got in to move it (I hate sunroofs, I'd get rid of it if it wasn't so much work). So I knew I needed to clean the drains. I blew air down, I blew air up, and still no joy. So...I took some hot water and detergent and introduced that to the drains. With time and some agitation with a length of weed wacker line, I was able to get them to flow. At least at the front drains, the sunroof only opens about 5 inches so the rear drains will have to wait until I figure out how to get it to fully open.

The car still has areas that you could use to plant potatoes.

#625 · (Edited)

The leaf staining on the roof bothers me. With no clear coat, and years of organic material piled on it, the horizontal surfaces are quite mottled in appearance. I decided to take a couple of minutes to try a "Comet wash" on a part of the roof.

Well...for me it was Bar Keepers Friend and magic eraser.

It's not a bad look. However, in exploring the roof, I found it was about as straight as the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The PO stated that some thieves had kicked in the sunroof to steal the radio, and that misadventure was evident.

So, here's a list of what needs to be done to drive it to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.