Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
GTV6 is back in the workshop.

The stench of fuel is strong in the passenger compartment. I opened the doors, hatch and the sunroof (which only moves about 4 inches, something else to figure out) to air it out. I'll get the starter back either tomorrow or Friday, so I'll work on the vent tubes on the fuel tank tomorrow in order to cure the fuel stench issue. Only a few more lines and every vacuum and fuel line will have been replaced.

There isn't a "Check Engine Light" in a GTV6, correct? Thinking about future mods after I get this running correctly stock.

Battery is on the charger.

I told my wife that I'd be working on the car every day until the 1st, if necessary, to get it running. I still need to figure out why there is no spark.

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just wondering where one could purchase the adjustable torsion bar frame for the GTV6? Is it still available or made to order?

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Just wondering where one could purchase the adjustable torsion bar frame for the GTV6? Is it still available or made to order?

Richard Melvin from the U.K. Ran across his posting about making another bunch of them in a Facebook posting on the Alfa 116 racing page.

Last time I looked, he was just about sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
GTV6 is back in the workshop.

The stench of fuel is strong in the passenger compartment. I opened the doors, hatch and the sunroof (which only moves about 4 inches, something else to figure out) to air it out. I'll get the starter back either tomorrow or Friday, so I'll work on the vent tubes on the fuel tank tomorrow in order to cure the fuel stench issue. Only a few more lines and every vacuum and fuel line will have been replaced.

There isn't a "Check Engine Light" in a GTV6, correct? Thinking about future mods after I get this running correctly stock.

Battery is on the charger.

I told my wife that I'd be working on the car every day until the 1st, if necessary, to get it running. I still need to figure out why there is no spark.

Bob
Bob
Cracks on underside of filler hose and loose sending units can cause strong fuel odor...first glance doesn't always reveal it. check it out.

As for the no spark, the ignition switch and fuse box can be fussy. Also, the hall effect sensor at distributor if loose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Thanks for that advice, I wasn't aware of those potential problems.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
The gift that keeps on giving

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Rob with the win, cracked fuel filler hose. Now to chase down a replacement.

Other pictures if the fuel tank etc.

·
Premium Member
14,335 Posts
An ABB member had a batch of filler hoses made earlier this year. I have one on my GTV6. You should be able to find the details with a search.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
QUICK QUESTION: Was the radio a dealer install?

I've looked at a lot of photos and some video, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in location. I've got the rear interior panels out, and am trying to decide how to treat them. There are, of course, no grills for the ugly speaker holes for the doors or the rear panels. I picked up a couple of "Alfa Romeo" badged grills for the door, but they aren't large enough to deal with the gaping holes in the interior panels.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Oh, quick update on the starter. The one I just took off the car, I took down to the McParts store for a test. Passed electrically, but had a very audible failing bearing. I'm sure under the load of turning the engine that it was maxed out. A bit tedious to remove but not difficult.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
My son came back from North Dakota and promptly gifted me some flu...and that was complicated by 3 days in bed and having my back go out of whack! So, all the time anticipated on the car was not to be. Prior to the flu, I did manage to go see William in Richmond and pick up a matching set of door locks (with key!!! which we all know is essential) and some body cladding. His help has been essential in providing needed items for this project. Thanks again.

Thought I might work on it this weekend, but last night the well water-tank twisted on its supports and split one of the outgoing water lines. Apparently the gophers under-mined the support, and the timbers had seen their last (probably original from the 1942 install!) So this weekend I'll be working on that. The barn has to have it's water, and to fix that, I have to shut off the whole system. I think a couple of extra valves will get installed in order to better isolate the various paths of the lines.

I've got some pictures to upload, I'll see if I can get that done. I'll try and clear the plate for some actual work next weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
You know, Henry makes a real nice 22 carbine that would undermine them there gophers!
They've been decimating the little bit of lawn that I have on the place. Probably a good thing that I didn't fill their underground burrows with propane and then light it!!! I wonder how high the tank would have flown. LOL

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi horsewidower,

I just got a quick message from ALFAloco that you may be searching for a new rubber tube that connects the filler neck to the gas tank on a GTV6. If you like, you can contact me via e-mail on that.

Peter
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
So, a buddy just got a hold of me to say that his group of car enthusiasts have rented out an entire local track on May 9th. So...there is a target date to get this thing working competently.

I've got a couple of guys coming over on February 3rd to see if we can get the engine to start. Its an electrical issue that's very hard to figure out without an extra set of hands. It's awful hard to hold the DVOM and turn the key at the same time. I've tried with a remote start and it's still a PITA.

So, we'll get this ramped back up shortly. I still have an Acura and truck to work on this weekend. I need to get them out of the way.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Need additional parts for the Acura, and the truck is full of hay, so:

Getting ready to reinstall the starter, a little rust prevention and paint.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Some pictures from the removal of the starter:

A magnet on a stick was a big help:

The main power cable to the starter was corroded, I cut the bad out, and reattached the connector:

One interesting find was that someone port matched the exhaust manifold, and gaskets:

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Starter and manifold back in place.

Over did it with the shield. And decided not to wrap the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
My buddy came over to help figure out the "no spark" condition. There was no signal to the coil, which was traced to a lack of pulse from the Hall effect sensor at the distributor.

Wouldn't you know it, someone has been inside the distributor. One spring has been removed, probably in an attempt to encourage a faster advance curve.

161 - 180 of 1396 Posts