Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
The elusive CAT bracket is here! Thanks a bunch, Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
It drags the system voltage down to far less than 10 volts.
How old is your battery? I had a similar sounding issue and started hunting through starter issues but voltage at the starter shouldn't drop like that. Replaced the battery and all good. I was starting to wonder if I had fried my starter as I didn't install heat shield when I did the engine swap - now since rectified but thankfully not the cause of my woe.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Excellent question, I'll go look. I always recharge before giving a "new to me" restart a try. I think it's a 2016, but I'm not sure. I thought about swapping in a different battery, given your comment, I think I will.

My buddy dropped off the extra starter to the rebuilder, I sent my friend the thread on the rebuilt starters "hanging". They discussed the issue, and made a couple of phone calls. One of the rebuilder's contacts said "yep, common problem with Alfas, here's how you fix it...". Unfortunately, we won't have all the parts until mid-December.

That's okay, I've got plenty of other things to do.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Doing some planning for next year. AC is big on the list.

I picked up the bracketry for the Sanden conversion. Currently the car has all the engine bay AC removed, and the hacked together Tropic-Aire was removed in the passenger compartment. Man it was a mess, as usual for this car the wiring was a disaster.

I live in California's central valley, where we will see triple digit temperature for extended periods during the summer. I'm looking at Vintage Air systems, and want as much AC capacity as possible. I've looked at some of the threads that have done the conversion, and am looking for any input as to the maximum size system that folks think can be installed. I'd like to try and keep the stock look to the dash and ducting system, and will work on converting any of the VA system controls to work with the stock knobs and ducting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As to the project progress...I'm distracted by a couple of things that need to be done on the house. And, waiting for parts from Brazil to properly rebuild the starter solenoid. Oh, and I ordered a nice suspension Christmas present and am waiting for it to journey across the pond from the UK. A full front suspension rebuild is in the plans.

I'll take off between Christmas and New Year's day. Hopefully I can get a couple of full days in on the car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #145

The menagerie waiting for their turn in the shop.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Add r&r for the brakes. I received a spectacular collection of brake parts from Rob (also included parts for the '74 GTV).

I can say that I'm not looking forward to wrestling with the rear brakes. Luckily, the transaxle I received from William in Richmond has calipers and discs attached. I'll rebuild those and use them to replace what's on the car.

Still waiting for parts for the starter.

I went all in and took off two weeks...

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Got the call, they have the parts to rebuild the starter, correctly.

I had to finish up my part, doing a bit of cleaning and painting. I should have the starter this weekend.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
{Brakes} Stop and {Starter} Go.. are you getting ready to drive her???

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
My frustration is boiling over today. Let me vent for a moment...

We live out in the country, mail isn't delivered to the house (we quickly learned that the local reprobates would steal everything in our mailbox) we get it at a PO Box. Usually this isn't a problem, however, it can be an issue when we get things from overseas. You see, if UPS or FedEx deliver the package, it comes to the street address, if it gets delivered by United States Postal Services, they drive by the house (if addressed to the street address) and then send it back to sender...it has to have the PO Box #. Usually, because we know the regular employees, the street addressed items get grabbed and they get it to the PO.

Not this time of year, the seasonal temps just send stuff back.

So it was with some trepidation that I noticed that a special item (waiting on for 6+months), sent from the UK by Parcelforce, was being handled by the USPS...Now I gave the sender an address to use if the stuff was sent by a parcel service, the street address, and an alternate if the parcel was going to be delivered by the USPS, the PO Box. Which one did he use??? I couldn't find the actual address from either source, so I watched and I watched...it was sent out for delivery from my local PO...maybe it was going to MAKE IT!!! OH NO!!!!!

ALERT, your package had an incorrect address (I know the mailman drove right in front of the house, I see it all the time) and will be delivered to an alternative address.

WHAT alternative address, **** it, tell me where to go chase my parcel, that I've been waiting on for 6 months, that has cost me $$$$$ and the guy isn't going to make anymore!

So I figure that they must be taking it to our local post office, I sprint out of work and drive the hour back home, only to arrive 6 minutes too late. They're closed.

Sigh

Today, I get up, thinking "well they must hold it for a day before sending off, wouldn't that be logical if they "delivered to an alternative location." I hit the front lobby at 8:25, waiting for the 8:30 opening. Bummer, they've already stuck it in a truck and it's off to the distribution center, heading back to the UK. I talk to the Postmaster, no help...didn't even mention that I could go on-line and ask for a redelivery (NICE, not!!) which I figured out when I got into work and started chasing the parcel electronically. I've requested that it be redelivered on the 18th, and held at the post office.

So now, the anticipation, again, starts...ARGGGGGHHHHH

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Wow. Unbelievable. I'd move out of the Peeples Republik to a state where you don't have worry about stuff like that.

I remember when I was a kid living in Southern California, that when someone would move out of their house, locals would go a dig up plants/scrubs/flowers, etc and steal them before the new owners moved in. You had to nail everything down. Not the way life is supposed to be lived.

·
Premium Member
14,335 Posts
I hate dealing with USPS. Most of the employees don't give a ****.

·
Premium Member
27,163 Posts
I have had my issues with USPS but made contact with My main man Freddy at our USPS site where my overseas shipments come in. Since I was not home when mail was delivered with the latest signature required box it went back to PO. I took notice to see Freddy but he couldn't fine it then, Left him my number and he calls me later in the day - he sez I found it come get it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have an extra Maratona badge in my toolbox that came on my old GTV6. If you’re interested, PM me.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I have an extra Maratona badge in my toolbox that came on my old GTV6. If you’re interested, PM me.
Another subject... how'd those upgraded GTV6 seats (front & back) work out for you on your Alfetta upgrade project? - Still don't miss them and my GTV6 going in a unique direction...

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

Giving the workshop a colonic. Extra bullets to storage, as well as any other parts that are unrelated to the current build.

I need to reclaim unencumbered work space.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
There is one more, not in the picture. But, the cam caps are lost. It's basically for mocking things up and experimenting.

·
Premium Member
27,163 Posts
All my furniture dollies are engineless right now but still have 3 motors on other devices under my work benches. one of which is a 164 sub-frame complete with motor mounts and non- furniture caster wheels under it.

Actually moved some furniture using my engineless dollies recently.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #159

Finally safely across the pond...my Christmas present to myself.

141 - 160 of 1396 Posts