Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1404 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,381
Requested a quote from EB Spares for engine gaskets and rear brake parts.

The GTV is back on hold due to the wait for a rebuilt SPICA pump. So this one goes back to first in line.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,382
Well, darn it, no gaskets to be had (I'll search other vendors). 3-4 week wait minimum, as their supplier out of Italy was impacted by Covid-19.

I'll have to turn my attention to finishing the transaxle/De Dion assembly in anticipation of installing it the car in August.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, darn it, no gaskets to be had (I'll search other vendors). 3-4 week wait minimum, as their supplier out of Italy was impacted by Covid-19.

I'll have to turn my attention to finishing the transaxle/De Dion assembly in anticipation of installing it the car in August.
I just bought a complete set from OKP.de. No wait time.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,384
Thanks a bunch. I have a couple of things I want to purchase from them.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,385
Parts are on their way from across the pond, should arrive on the 10th. I have most of what I want to finish building up the transaxle, brakes, axles and deDion. It occurred to me that I should also do the driveshaft, but I need to wait a couple weeks on those parts as the wallet is smoking and threatening to burst into flames.

The holiday weekend will be consumed by clearing out the 20+ years of accumulated junk around the farm. I hope to see the walls in the garage, instead of the many boxes, parts, and shelves of soooooo much stuff. Managed to secure the use of a dump trailer, and the dump is close.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,387
I'm looking forward to the cleaning out stories.... :)
The success of the endeavor is balanced on my ability to suppress the hoarding tendency that I possess. Can I, for three days, simply throw things out. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
As long as they do not include the cars themselves, lol. Still waiting for the LS to have it's hiatus ended.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,389
As long as they do not include the cars themselves, lol. Still waiting for the LS to have it's hiatus ended.

LOL. Of course not.

But don't ask the Lovely Donna what she thinks.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,390
I'm looking forward to the cleaning out stories.... :)
Where do I start...

I'm at that dissatisfying point where the mind thinks one thing, and the body reply's "WHAT are you smoking?" I'm two dump runs in, and not nearly where I'd thought I'd be.

Starts off with my question: "hey what ball size do I need for your trailer?" "2 5/16" Cool, I've got one or two of those. Not so fast...I pull three mounted hitches out of the 2002 Ford F350 diesel crew cab dually. All of them are 2"!!!!!! Even the one that originally had all three common ball sizes that could easily be swapped. ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!
I queried the Lovely Donna, and she stated she gave the other sizes away as they didn't fit her horse trailer!!! We had a discussion, at the end of which she wasn't happy and neither was I. Nevertheless, it cost me an hour and a half to run into town to get the proper hitch. I decided to purchase one that had all three common ball sizes WELDED to the hitch. And, it will go into my shop when I'm done with it.

Of course, upon understanding that my weekend was going to be taken up with multiple trips to the dump, the honey-do dump trip came first. With that one done, the Amazon and ebay box dump trip took the entire second trip. Given where we live, a trip to town, and going to several stores to try and find something means we start on the internet now a days.

So today I started on what we call the "cinder block" garage. I made some head way until I got to the cabinets that contained some ancient paper work. 4 hours of shredding paperwork ensued. And, I gave up when it hit 100*. I was planning on doing some more this evening, but I'm a steak and bottle of red wine in and figure tomorrow is another day.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Great stories! I’m relieved to hear that the twists and turns of life are the same for you as they are for me.... :) the important missing detail was, what was the wine?

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,392 (Edited)
Best laid plans of mice and men...

I couldn’t, just couldn’t start chucking boxes without looking. Thankfully.

First of all, it took me down 20 years of memory lane. Pictures of the boys, report cards (some great, some not), college recruiter’s letters (my oldest was pretty good, but several concussions senior year meant other pursuits were warranted), and numerous other bits.

Parts, many parts. Parts I forgot I’d purchased. Parts I need now.

One big heavy box contained a SPICA pump, with proper numbers, that I’ll send to Wes for rebuilding instead of taking the one off the GTV. Amongst other things.

I have to rethink my method of work. The turnaround at the dump is not fast. Today, I went through the initial scale quick, but there was a quarter mile back up to get a slot to dump, and the same quarter mile of folks for the scale and payment. Sorta ruins efficiency.

I returned the dump trailer (the only way anyone should do this, back up, raise the bed, pull away). I’ll borrow it again in a couple of weeks after accumulating a bunch of bagged and ready bits.

Method of work will change, as I need to recognize the importance, and necessity, of going through the 20 years of accumulated...life(?).

On a very positive note, I received a box of parts from across the pond, and visited Larry Jr. to pickup some other essentials. I always enjoy seeing him.

But, I wouldn’t want to clean out his shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Do what my mother did.

She started giving all of us our school pictures, report cards, etc in a box for our birthdays and Christmas.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,394
Started working on the transaxle/DeDion swap. Going through and stripping down parts, blasting and preparing for the cerakote. Looking at a black, titanium, burnt bronze or gold combination. Yeah, I know, nobody is going to see it but it still makes me happy to see clean, protected parts. Also, when you go to that length, you inspect and verify the competency of the parts.

I verified the importance of that when I demanded that we strip the paint off the Burman Box and steering linkage that an errant painter sprayed all over the GTV racecar I'm helping with (told the owner I wouldn't go to the track with him unless that was dealt with!). The Burman box had a cracked mounting tab and 5 out of 8 bolts holes on the sides were cracked.

The hilarious part of this will be that everything under the sheetmetal will be pristine, but it'll still look like a scruffy piece on the top side. I hate paint jail, and also, if left as it currently sits, I don't worry about driving it anywhere and everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,395
After more exacting inspection, 7 out of 8 holes in that Burman box had cracks. It's being replaced with a ZF.

Back to the GTV6. I've gone completely off the rails. I've purchased a hood and roof from APE. I'll be able to get rid of the sun roof on the car, it is just a pain. It might have been great if it was original, however the one in this car is not. Part of the car's sketchy past is that the radio was stolen. The method of entry...stomping in the original sun roof. So the replacement hasn't fitted, leaks, and has no sealing properties at all. I was stuffing foam insulating tubes in the cracks to try and quell the air/water from streaming in.

The extra hood allows me to punch louvers and other venting solutions without destroying the original hood.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,397 (Edited)
Well, we're about 8 dump loads in, and I'm just getting to the last wall (in the first building). Lots of Ford and Folvo (Ford block Volvo 4 valve twin cam head) parts gone. Before I got bit, HARD, by the Alfa bug, I was putting together a Folvo for a Bonneville project. We'd coaxed 375 cfm out of a stock aluminum Volvo head, and it was going to have a large turbo, all to go into a '72 Datsun truck. At the time, the record we were looking at was really soft. However, after about 5 years of bad salt, many of the guys had moved on with their lives and we never got it together. All the engine parts are going over to my son as he'll include it in the sale of the Mustang SVO that I sold to him years ago.

I picked up some more parts from Larry to help set up a V6 dyno engine. I want to test several things. I got another set of exhaust manifolds and a 164 flywheel (yes...yes I know I have two already but they are in cars and I don't want to spend the time to yank them out). I got one 3.0 liter exhaust manifold as I keep hearing stuff about how its better. I can have it flowed to see if there is anything to it. Probably won't get to the dyno for a couple of months, I had planned to go fit the engine but woke up feeling under the weather and didn't want to spread anything. Of course, I was fine the next day.

I'm looking at low rise solutions for lifts to go in the cinderblock garage. Quickjack or EZ lift or...???

As always, more things to do than time and resources allow.

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
Lol, ever thought about getting one of your project cars running?

On another subject, are you getting gassed out with the fire smoke? We've had very bad air for over a week now. Part fog, and part smoke. Bad breathing this stuff. Even right now, we have less than a mile of visibility at best. Air stinks of wood smoke. Having to wear masks most of the time, certainly when we are out and about, mostly for the virus (to those who don't, I say "grow up"), but this smoke as well even if they don't work that well for smoke particles.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Bob, I noted your comment about low rise car lifts, and I spotted this Challenger mid-rise a while back:

(Hard to believe that a lift supplier could let a typo like "break" slip by... too much keyboard or phone word processing, not enough old fashioned proofreading.)

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,400
Del, it’s been **** near unbreathable for about three weeks. We abandoned the office twice last week because the smoke overwhelmed the HVAC.

Because of allergy and asthma issues, at home I have HEPA filters sized for twice the square footage of the house.

I haven’t done much outside during that time. We can’t see the back fence which is about 1,200 feet away.

Dave, I’ll give that a look. Thanks.

Several more weeks and it will be “work on car season” again. The summer is usually way too hot. Plus a bunch of property maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1381 - 1400 of 1404 Posts