Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
I am glad you went back with "stock" black hose afterrmarket silicone set though. Looks almost original looking.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I am glad you went back with "stock" black hose afterrmarket silicone set though. Looks almost original looking.

My engine bay "aesthetic" tends toward blacks, silvers, brushed and raw materials. Other than perhaps a bit of early Alfa red for accent, which I'm still on the fence about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Making the dive under the dash to replace the VERY suspect heater hose. I've been putting this off, but it's time.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
My buddy that helped me out a month ago, came by and remarked that "it kinda looks the same!?"

I went through the litany of work that has been done. This car hasn't had big items to do, instead it has 100 little ones that could lead to big problems.

How do you eat an elephant...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Wow, what a pain. Clamps are on so that you can't see the mechanism. AC tubes blocking access. I had to call up the 500 lb silverback to do some artful bending. Can't wait to have this done.

Took a break for a soothing libation...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #127

"Hold my beer, watch this..."

LOL

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Initial fuel pressure check...pinhole leak in the engine bay fuel line.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
My kingdom for a hose. The splice wouldn't seal. Gratification delayed.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore. But, four headlights, four different manufacturers...LOL

Picture of trim ring and bucket, one after the Evaporust bath, the other before. That stuff is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Oh NO!

I think I just hit full "Science Fair"!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
It cranks, working to get it fired.

Swapped in the new fuel line, complete with a face full of rancid gas, pulled the plugs and lubricated the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil.

For the first time under my ownership I cranked it over, with the plugs out. Trying to get some oil moving, although I didn't see any movement on the oil pressure gauge.

Went to install the oxygen sensor, only to find that the wiring had been messed with. It had been changed to an unheated one wire, instead of the stock three wire. I'll have to address that at a later date.

Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Here's a nifty idea, when the starter solenoid is worn out, just feed it more juice. I was wondering what that relay was for.

With 12.8 volts, it's barely spinning. One more thing to r&r.

No sparky, time to sort that. Now the real work begins.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Had to move the car out of the workshop, while I work on a couple of issues.

I was walking, despondently back from the barn, when it occurred to me that one of my extra engines might have a starter. Eureka! One did. So it's off to be checked and, if necessary, rebuilt. Made my weekend.

Below is the car, in its current state, and entirely too many starter pictures. Who knows, maybe some one in the future will find the helpful.

Also, huge thanks to the folks that have sold me extra parts at nominal costs. Your generosity has saved me again.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #135

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The car looks stunning. Can't wait to see it run.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The car looks stunning. Can't wait to see it run.

Pictures lie...LOL

But thanks.

I don't think I'll be able to fix the ignition problem until I replace the starter. It drags the system voltage down to far less than 10 volts. Most ECUs I'm familiar with need more than 10 volts.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I'll probably pick up a Blaster coil and ignition module just to eliminate them. I ran through the manuals tests, except those requiring an oscilloscope, and they passed.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
The ignition module fires the coil when pin 5 goes from 12V to 0V. The strobe signal from the Hall sensor goes first to the ignition advance computer and then to the ignition module. If the new coil does not give you sparks then check the grounds at the module.
I spent some time experimenting with ignition modules. There are several versions that look the same but have different characteristics and a couple that I bought new on Ebay were DOA.

Great idea to replace the starter while the engine is out of the car as it is not a fun job with the engine installed.

I have a good module and ignition computer that you can borrow if you have to resort to swapping them out.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I have a good module and ignition computer that you can borrow if you have to resort to swapping them out.
That is a very kind offer. Let me get the starter installed and see if that is the problem. If that doesn't cure it, I'll send you a message.

Thanks
Bob

121 - 140 of 1396 Posts