Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1,261 - 1,280 of 1,415 Posts
Discussion starter · #1,261 ·
Plus, it would be a travesty to go through the trouble of pulling out the one that appears to failing, only to install one that doesn't work.

Again, check your engine ground strap and battery cables/connections/junctions before yanking the starter!

Reactions: horsewidower
Discussion starter · #1,264 ·
Again, check your engine ground strap and battery cables/connections/junctions before yanking the starter!
Always good advice. Do the simple first.

Discussion starter · #1,265 ·
Well, that one didn't test out. I'll try another one tomorrow.

Discussion starter · #1,267 ·
Starter. Sorry should have been clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #1,268 ·
My co-worker, who sets up private track days, has set one up for Thunderhill in May, and Laguna Seca in December. So we'll be shooting for the December date at Laguna Seca. I've always wanted to run that track. I've spent more days then I want to remember at Thunderhill (went to SCCA school there) so I won't be too upset about missing that outing. If I have my choice, I'd rather run at Sears Point. You can dance with that track.

Discussion starter · #1,269 ·
I've got my professional mechanic buddy coming over to help me suss out the electrical problem, on Saturday. Tonight I'll finish the first phase of cleaning out the workshop, tomorrow and Friday I'll get the GTV6 back in, yank the plenum and fix the rear Rube-Goldbergian oil-line oil leak. That will also allow me to replace the plenum hoses with the ones I purchased a while back.

It's time to get this thing back up and running. The Acura is competent but boring...I need some Busso music.

"I need some Busso music."

I got that, Bob! It's intoxicating, that sound. Molto grazie, Ing. Busso... molto grazie!

Discussion starter · #1,271 ·
I own 8 V6s, and this is the only one with the crazy rear oiling hose set up. Can anyone think of a reason not to just return it to original spec...plugging the extraneous hose outlets and returning the oil pressure sender to original (non-t'd) arrangement?

Seem to me, IIRC, that the rear hose setup was to prevent some sort of oil distribution problem?

Discussion starter · #1,273 ·
Yes, I believe that was the thought at the time.

external oil hose setup was a "kill it with a sledge hammer" solution. I would think reversing it would not create a problem. But I think the original oil feed from the block to the head may have been blocked off when the external hoses were installed. The O ring around the original feed was the leaking issue culprit. I think it was not supported by a roll pin in the early engines. Of course you don't want to eliminate oil getting up to the cam, so you would need to remove the blocking screw and reinstall the O ring. This means pulling the heads.

I have never experienced the original oil leak issue and have no experience with the bypass kit. I am just going off my (sometimes failing) memory of what I have read. Certainly I am a proponent of the original set up, with the roll pin supporting the O-ring. This set up has worked well for me.

Discussion starter · #1,276 ·
Thanks, Mark. Great to get the info.

Del, I think that's the wise decision. Far simpler than pulling heads.

Bob, as I recall you had some pretty good looking hose and fittings on that, right? Do you think the hose bend radius was maybe too tight? I seem to recall the photo you posted.... Containing hot motor oil at 50 or 60 psi should be no big deal, compared to real hydraulic system pressures.

Discussion starter · #1,278 ·
Dave, the hoses are new, I don't think they are the problem. I think that the fittings are leaking at the block and heads. I'll completely pull the plenum off and get down in there to R&R. If I recall, the fitting stack to make it all work has 9+- joints. Plenty of places to leak.

It's a bit disconcerting to be sitting at the on-ramp meters and have smoke start to billow out from under the car...LOL

By the late 80's there final cure for the oil leak was a pin with an oring groove that went into the head. Here are the tech bulletins I have on it.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #1,280 ·
Wow thanks Jim.

1,261 - 1,280 of 1,415 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.