Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1268 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,221
Bad coil:
Checking MM, .2 calibration error, subtract from first reading.
Doesn't meet spec for first reading. Note the change in the MM setting for the second reading.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222
Potentially good coil:

Same check for calibration. See the readings.
Nasty sparkplugs

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,224
Man, I hope you're correct. Letting it air out tonight. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,225
One other thing I checked was the battery cable at the firewall. The starter seemed to be laboring. At the battery I had 12.83 volts, at the firewall: 12.1.

Not good. I need to sort that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,226
Another furniture dolly occupied. 20% more displacement, same physical size. What's not to like. Cams and S pistons on the way. I'll have to figure out how much to shave the head to get my desired compression ratio.

IMG_1041[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Sorry for the double photo, don't know how it happened, don't know how to fix it. I apparently have some more learning to do.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,228
Hmmmm, might be getting the cart before the horse. I should probably do the transaxle before jumping into the engine. The transaxle in the car is a known bad actor. A buddy that likes doing manual transmissions (and sells a lot of rebuilt trans) has offered to help out. I can at least get the Verde transaxle torn down and see what, if anything, it needs. However, he probably doesn't have the special tools to check the LSD...which means I'll probably need to talk with Larry Jr.

And, should I go with a lightened flywheel at the transaxle, as well as removing 10lbs at the front flywheel? Plus, inspect and update the clutch if needed.

Get all that done before piling into the engine.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I don't have my Cardisc GTV6/Milano manuals handy, but in terms of "checking" an existing LSD (versus setting up the ring and pinion backlash and preload of the differential side bearings after newly installing an LSD), I don't think any special tools are involved. The common method of measuring LSD friction disc wear is measuring the breakaway torque by holding one of the output flanges and turning the other using a beam-style torque wrench. I am not sure if Alfa has a published spec for this.

Even if the clutch plates are worn out, the existing LSD transmission should not need to be "set up" with the special tools if the differential side bearings and pinion shaft bearings do not need replacement.

Caveat emptor: this is coming from a Porsche technician (Alfa uses same style of LSD, and even uses Porsche synchromesh), so there is a very small chance of some additional weirdness in the Alfa transaxle design that invalidates the above, but I highly doubt it . . . .

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,230
Well, bummer. Stock fuel injectors would have to be run at 50psi to support 200 crankshaft horsepower according to RCengineering's tech calculator. I've always used their site for injector sizing.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,231
Ran up to the gold county to look at a machine shop. Great drive on Highway 49 through the canyon to Cool, then hang a left to go east. The shop was hidden amongst the pines, on a one way driveway. I had my doubts, as usually that means its an unmitigated mess. Too my surprise, the shop was clean, organized, complete with dyno room. Wow just what I like.

For the last 20 years I've used the same guy, formerly a top engine builder with Comptech, back when they were running the Honda motorsports program, before their demise. Very detail oriented, fastidious, clean. He's been through a couple of shops since then, and this looks to be the best yet.

They are slammed at the moment, as everyone is getting work done for the next racing season. Given that I'm not on a timeline, we talked about doing work starting in May. I don't expect them to do much other than balancing the reciprocating assembly and milling the head to get to my desired CR. So we'll put off most of the engine content until starting in March or April.

I talked with Al about his PNP megasquirt system. Ed appeared to have a very successful program with Al's system. I could build one myself, but Al's system is quite reasonably priced, functional, and one less thing to worry about. Given my desire to not "piss on the fence," I'm going to go that way.

So, time to get serious with the transaxle work.

·
Premium Member
13,361 Posts
Ed appeared to have a very successful program with Al's system.
If that is me then you are correct. I have the MS configurations saved and I will be happy to share them with you. My advice is to leave the ignition stock until you have the fuel sorted out, then switch it over to MS.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233
If that is me then you are correct. I have the MS configurations saved and I will be happy to share them with you. My advice is to leave the ignition stock until you have the fuel sorted out, then switch it over to MS.
Yep, definitely you. My intent is fuel only. Thank you for the offer of MS configurations. Should make it much easier.

·
Premium Member
13,361 Posts
Good plan. MS ignition maps timing but I found little if any benefit from that but I did like having full control of rev limit.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Horsewidower, I see your location says California, so I am not sure what kind of obstacles you'll run into for emissions, but if you can, you should also consider setting up the exhaust like Ed did on his GTV6...It sounds beatiful and is what sold me on his car.
I took a short video back in November of some light revs after putting the transmission back in and performing some tests shifts... It sounds a lot more amazing when you really get on it..

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,236
That is awesome!

I’ll need to maintain all the smog equipment. Simply a fact of life in California.

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
"Simply a fact of life in California" Pity, as not all of Californa requires such an array of restrictions and requirements. Overkill.

·
Premium Member
13,361 Posts
That exhaust won't come close to CAL specs. CSC headers into a custom Y then straight 2.5" pipe with a single straight thru Borla in the rear muffler position.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,239
I was looking at the Magnaflow down pipes and cat arrangement. William managed to pass a set of headers by an inspection station for his GTV6.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,240
Jumped back over here on the BOC. After some fiddling, I've got spark again, but still no fire. I'll check fuel pressure tomorrow, and I purchased another fuel filter, just in case I need it. If i can get it running, again, tomorrow morning, I'll then yank the plenum and fix the rear oil leak. Also, I want to yank the passenger's seat and figure out what I need to mount the new seats. Way more ambition than time left on this vacation.

1221 - 1240 of 1268 Posts