Alfa Romeo Forums banner

781 - 800 of 1208 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Berkeley - I think that is where Eddins Moto is. Would be worth poking your nose in. Take the GTV6

Website Updates

Web site is worth the read if nothing else!
That is one of the coolest websites I have seen in a while, thanks for sharing! Will definitely visit next time I am up there.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
2 weeks without working on the GTV6, this is not good. (No, DON! Not this Christmas)

It's not that things aren't getting done, they're just not Alfa things. Rooms cleaned, walls painted, shopping and shopping and shopping, and Christmas dinner planned, cooked and cleaned up (I do the cooking, it's a matter of self defense caused by the combination of Irish mother and Czech heritage father on the Lovely Donna's side...I could tell you stories, (like the one about finding out that they thought turkey was properly cooked when the breast meat split from the breastbone...)

It's not like I didn't further my education on car restoration (Learn something new everyday!), too many episodes of "Soup" and "Home Built by Jeff" on YouTube (why do car shows exist on regular tv and cable anymore?) were consumed. So much can be done with so little.

Soup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl9I7RgD0i7JZ58CK17kKHQ

HBBJ:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_vb_SJctymCkwnF6sAwDg

And the weather has been frightful ...ly cold, so the workshop hasn't made it to the required 65*.

Recognizing that I'm just making excuses, and being a man of relative (in)action. I gathered my courage and told the Lovely Donna that I "will not be working on anything other than the Alfa(s) until either it's on the road and driving again, or work (that I get paid for) starts again on 1/7/2019...Harummppphh" And then hightailed it out of the room.

So, I tend to think that I'll be spending a bunch of time in the workshop, for one reason or another.

Bob

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Sometimes a man just has to put his foot down, Bob. :grin2:

But look... at this time of year, before Christmas, did we REALLY expect to make a lot of progress on Alfas?

I don't... not when I look at the Christmas list and realize that they're counting on Santa. But after the holidays... that's another thing altogether. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
"Czech heritage"

My wife & I recently moved the in-laws in with us (a good thing)and they are 1st generation Czech in the USA. The Christmas tradition is PASTRIES! Oh my, the sugar & weight I'm gaining I hope is worth it but after the Holidays
(1-1-2019), I too will get back to the Alfa. Good cookies!

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #785 (Edited)
It was the best of vacations, it was the worst of vacations.

Tally:

Truck: Two days
Tractor: Two days
Sick: Two days
Alfas: Zero days.
Misc. Honey-does: yeah, all the rest, except the time wasted watching football.

Apparently an appropriately uttered "Harrumppphhhh" doesn't have the result it once had. Although, I did spend most of the rest of the time in the shop working on Notalfas.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Aren't holidays and vacations fun? I thought for sure you might have put everything in your GTV6 all together during that time. I'm sooo disappointed, lol.

Still thinking of driving down that way this spring to visit my cousin in Roseville, but haven't discussed (cleared) it with the boss yet. If we do, I'll let you know if you want. Maybe lunch and a beer or two somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
GTV6 is back in the workshop!

I had some time available to R&R the column switch. After taking apart the kluged one that came with the car, I did come away with a bit of respect for the PO that tried to repair it, at least their mechanical attempt. The wiring was, of course, dangerous. The big failure was their loss of the detente for the headlights, probably lost the spring and plastic detente when they took the headlight side apart.

I did have the good fortune of having William of Richmond providing a couple of column switches for parts. The final product that I was able to assemble takes good parts of a couple of switches.

I remember barking about the PO's use of zip ties to put parts of the switch back together...well...I had to do the same. I couldn't find usable rivets, or a way to use bolts and nuts. So, I'm guilty as charged.

Below you'll find:

A couple of switches that I used to put things together
The broken turn signal arm, and you'll see the spring and ball bearing used for that detente
The obligatory wiring kluge
All the pieces that will fly out and you'll never find again if you're not careful
The two headlight arms that I had to choose from, one being pretty pristine, the the subject of a pretty decent kluge. The person that had worked on it wrapped a wire around the white section (which had obviously split) and it would have worked reasonably well if he hadn't lost the detente spring and plastic piece and hadn't loaded it with some type of sticky goo.

I cleaned all the contact points, assembled the best parts from those available and it is now ready to be used.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
A similar and familiar failure in the Milano is the turn signal lever auto return innerds. Didn't take long for the still on warranty Milano turn signal lever to fail to return to neutral. Had it fixed, and then not much longer, several years, it failed again, this time out of warranty. Have never bothered to try to fix it, although I think someone on the BB did come up with some sort of fix, but we just ignore the failure and by now returning the lever is just an automatic reflex.

Have not had this failure in any other Alfa I have ever owned before or after.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You're a brave man, Bob! Brings back memories of working on the switch on Mike's car, although we had to replace it with a good used one from APE. The general cleanup, and lube of the contact points makes a big difference. Add headlight relays, and the thing should last awhile.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
How does the turn signal cancel work on these things? Mine holds in position but does not return when I straighten the steering wheel.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
That's what ours has done for decades. We just give it a "finger flick" out of habit when we are done with the turn. Don't remember just what the mechanism is. The fellow in the BB who fixed his talked about it but I don't remember now, and haven't found the postings. He did mention something about a plastic cog or something out of adjustment?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ed - I just repaired mine for that issue a week ago. Look to see if there is a gap between the steering wheel base and the plastic column covers. It should be very small - no more than 1/4 inch. My wheel had worked rearwards until the cancel collar pin was no longer engaging in the hole in the steering wheel base plate. The cancel collar was not rotating with the wheel. Once I understood what the issue was, I just loosened the pinch bolts on the CV joint at the base of the column, aligned the cancel collar pin with the hole in the base of the steering wheel and pushed the wheel forward. Tightened the pinch bolts and now everything works as it should!

Sometimes the solution is simpler than you think. I know I'll pay for it next time!

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Well, that's a thought. I'll have to check ours for just that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
Brave, Dave? No, more like the optimism of ignorance matched with a healthy dose of curiosity. LOL
Ah, and my aversion to spending several hundred dollars on a new switch. There was really nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Mark, thanks for that information. I didn't notice that nuisance when I removed it from the column.

Ed, I'll get a picture of the ring for your viewing pleasure.

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
I have a Momo steering wheel. Maybe that is part of my problem. Look forward to seeing the picture of the ring and apologies for hijacking your thread.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #796
Ed, I should be able to post them tomorrow.

Generally, I look at a thread as a chance to have a conversation, and certainly, on all my threads, encourage the interaction. No apologies necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
Well, tomorrow ended up 4 days.

See the photos. The money shot is the pin to steering wheel photo showing how the mechanism rotates to turn the turn indicator off. Well, that's actually in the next post. This one shows the pin, and then the working mechanism of the turn indicators, with the movement of the white plastic part in and out. It is released as the circular part moves with the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
Here is where the pin is inserted in the bushing on the steering wheel horn ring:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
Well, big thanks to Mark. I would have missed the post to steering wheel connection.

781 - 800 of 1208 Posts