Alfa Romeo Forums banner

761 - 780 of 1208 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
HVAC disassembly

This is pretty much self-explanatory. Remove the cable from the lever to the heater valve.

Care needs to be taken when removing the clips holding the box together. . the plastic is very fragile. I found that pushing up on the clip while trying to lever them off with a small screwdriver generally worked. Also, since they are applying tension due to the curvature of the clip, pushing the clip in while prying helped. A couple I flattened a bit with a ball peen. Still, I had a couple peel off some plastic. There are also a couple of nuts that need to be removed from the bottom front of the unit.

Then, it's just a case of vacuuming out the debris and continuing disassembly.

I could not find a direct match for the Bosch blower fan motor; thankfully it's back to working.

All the sealing foam had perished, so I'll replace all of that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
The squirrel got out!
I like the line from ages ago.
Although the cage is still revolving, the gerbil is dead.
:)
In this case, the gerbil needed a pacemaker. (No wiring was mentioned in this statement...>:))

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
No way that fanwheel will ever run balanced, or quietly! Typical old, dirty motor, right? Great photos with detail, which makes this post so valuable to Alfa posterity!

BTW Bob, what about the fit and retention of that small middle panel that carries your fan switch and temp control? Does it pop out or are the tangs broken? On Mike's car, that was the case, so I drilled 4 small holes into the side flanges of the panel, 2 top and 2 bottom. I screwed in 4 small round head wood screws, just far enough so that they would pop past the front face of the box, and retain the thing in the opening. I adjusted a couple screws to give it a tad tighter fit, but it stays in place.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I'll be closely following you on your HVAC conversion. While I've heard 'Vintage Air' mentioned quite a bit, there's also a company called 'Restomod Air' that I'm also looking in to for my GTV6 project. I haven't quite got all the measurements down yet... that's the important thing... what can you get away with stashed up under the dash.... Good luck with your HVAC conversion efforts!

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
No way that fanwheel will ever run balanced, or quietly! Typical old, dirty motor, right? Great photos with detail, which makes this post so valuable to Alfa posterity!
I expect it to make a racket. I'll trim it a bit but it'll be living dangerously. I found some cages made by Red Dot, but i don't want to wait to get them. I want this thing back on the road this weekend.

BTW Bob, what about the fit and retention of that small middle panel that carries your fan switch and temp control? Does it pop out or are the tangs broken? On Mike's car, that was the case, so I drilled 4 small holes into the side flanges of the panel, 2 top and 2 bottom. I screwed in 4 small round head wood screws, just far enough so that they would pop past the front face of the box, and retain the thing in the opening. I adjusted a couple screws to give it a tad tighter fit, but it stays in place.
I just picked that up to look at it!!! Thanks for the solution. Mine is in sad shape and won't stay on. I'm going to mount the on/of switches there, one for the fan, one to open and close the heater valve. It's going to run wide open on both. I just need to get a few months down the road so the resources are available to make the full swap to VA. Property taxes and Christmas are draining me dry. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
I bet Larry at APE can get you a fanwheel pretty quickly.
Doh!!!

Call made, message left. They're about 20 minutes away.

Let's see if they call back. I've purchased a number of things from them, always fun to make a visit.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #769
LOL...so I needed a $5 fan, but I purchased an $80 complete assembly.

I always like spares, and this gives me a chance to have a working system in the car, while I mockup the fitment of the VA with the extra box. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
And if that blower motor craps out, you'll have a replacement handy. Glad he could get it for you before the weekend. I had no idea where you are relative to APE!

One of these days, I'd like to make a pilgrimage to APE, just to say I'd been there, but it would be fairly expensive. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
Oh, I wouldn't travel out here to see APE, I love those guys but it's not a tourist site. My usual transaction is "Larry I need this. $$ for the part. Okay." I get there and we spend 30 seconds on the transaction and 30-45 minutes ********ting. I really enjoy his company, he is a classic American character. His sons, Larry Jr. and Alex are quality guys.

The evaporator box is an excellent buy. Came with an unbroken heater valve, and had already had the fan blower motor changed to a Frigette 209-101. I had to swap a couple of brackets, tested the electrical operation. It will only work at full speed, but that works for me. It is a slightly different style, which I like. The drain line fitting broke when I tried to get the remnant of the drain line off. I'm not really concerned, as the AC system won't be working, but I'll find a way to stick a drain on it on the stub.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
This weekend will be a success if I get the insulation and HVAC box installed. It'll be a real winner if I get the column switch frankenstein swaperoo completed.

I'm going down to Andrew's tomorrow morning to pick up some bumpers for the project that shall not be mentioned.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
I'm going down to Andrew's tomorrow morning to pick up some bumpers for the project that shall not be mentioned.

Bob
Must be a Berlina. Andrews name kinda gives it away.

Oops. Did I just say that.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
A series of calamitous events have conspired to impede progress. A barn door that tore out of it's mounting, a truck that wouldn't start, and failing to read instructions on contact adhesive combined with temperatures well under the required 65*, stymied success.

Bumpers were procured, however, driving a diesel dually crew cab F350 through the lilliputian streets of Berkeley left me with no fingernails.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
And next year's F350 will be 'bigger and better', like all the others.
Sheesh.
Might have to flatten Berkeley and rebuild everything just that wee bit wider.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
And next year's F350 will be 'bigger and better', like all the others.
Sheesh.
Might have to flatten Berkeley and rebuild everything just that wee bit wider.
The "bigger is better" philosophy of truck design has far exceeded it's utilitarian value. It's down right stupid at this point.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
That, and those of us with standard sized cars cannot see around/past these humongous pickups and SUVs.

761 - 780 of 1208 Posts