Alfa Romeo Forums banner

741 - 760 of 1211 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
If anyone has a referral for a vendor for the rubber boot and over boot for the shifter, I'd really appreciate it. I've been searching to find something that will work and not really liking the universal fit items I've found.

Bob

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Bob, I'm not certain about the rubber boot, but we got new leather boots for the shift lever and E brake lever from Highwood in England. They fit perfectly and look rich.

Suggest you try Mr Fiat, the factory AFRA site, or Cicognani for the rubber boot.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
If anyone has a referral for a vendor for the rubber boot and over boot for the shifter, I'd really appreciate it. I've been searching to find something that will work and not really liking the universal fit items I've found.

Bob
Is it the same as the one used on the Alfetta?

Thanks for the heater valve photo posting.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
Bob, I'm not certain about the rubber boot, but we got new leather boots for the shift lever and E brake lever from Highwood in England. They fit perfectly and look rich.

Suggest you try Mr Fiat, the factory AFRA site, or Cicognani for the rubber boot.
Dave, you NAILED it. Highwood even has the rubber boot.

Jim, I have no idea. You would think so.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
I haven't worked on anything this week. We're basically in hell's chimney at the moment. (Paradise, paradoxically, being hell in this context). We're down wind and the smoke is so bad that you pretty much need to stay inside in an air-filtered environment. Schools, sporting events, etc. have all been shut down. Interestingly, it has also depressed the temperature. I saw a low of 28* as I was driving to work. I don't think I've seen 28* in the valley in the last 30 years of living in this region.

My inconvenience is nothing compared to the tragedy of what has happened to the good people of Paradise Ca. I was in Chico on Tuesday, my turnoff being only one of two ways into Paradise. The line of first responder vehicles going up the hill was never ending. And the smoke was soooooo thick that you couldn't see the sun at 8:00 am. The shop I went into had ash falling...inside.

Regardless, if I can breathe the air this weekend, I'll get some shots of the HVAC.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
"We're down wind and the smoke is so bad that you pretty much need to stay inside in an air-filtered environment"

So bad, what's happened up there, and of course, in the south. Our area has sent people to help fight the fires. Such a loss of life. Houses, yes, bad, but not like the loss of those lives, how many yet to be determined.

We had bad smoke in the Puget Sound area this summer almost as bad due to fires in BC, WA, OR, and CA, couldn't see very far at all, maybe half mile at the most. When we ran a fan in the window for some breeze in the house, the furnace filter we put in front of the fan turned dark after a while. Never seen this before.

Meanwhile, put the new clutch in the 91S. Was a pain because one flywheel bolt broke off and had to be drilled out. Those bolts had never been touched since the car was built in 91. And as well, the filler plug had been beavered before I had bought the car used, so had to use the back up light sensor hole instead. Was hoping to make 200k miles on the original clutch, but only made 190k. Oh well. Lousy stuff anyway, lol.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
We got most all the weatherstripping rubber seals from Highwood Alfa, too. A few items came from Mr Fiat, like the hatchback and hood seals. But the best deal was through Highwood, and the quality of their weatherstripping was very good.

Highwood also has those interior courtesy lamps available, repros I assume, but they're about $60 each! Ouch...

Prior to the PO buying it, Mike's car had set out in the heat in New Mexico for some time, so the interior and all the exposed rubber trim was pretty well cooked.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
We got most all the weatherstripping rubber seals from Highwood Alfa, too. A few items came from Mr Fiat, like the hatchback and hood seals. But the best deal was through Highwood, and the quality of their weatherstripping was very good.
The pound sterling just took a hit, I should probably order while the exchange rate is favorable.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
Meanwhile, put the new clutch in the 91S. Was a pain because one flywheel bolt broke off and had to be drilled out. Those bolts had never been touched since the car was built in 91. And as well, the filler plug had been beavered before I had bought the car used, so had to use the back up light sensor hole instead. Was hoping to make 200k miles on the original clutch, but only made 190k. Oh well. Lousy stuff anyway, lol.
I know how you feel. I just had to change the original rear brake pads and rotors on my truck for the first time. I was hoping to make it to 300,000 miles. But the pad started eating the rotor around 298,800. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
We had an excellent Thanksgiving, although a bit bittersweet. First time in 28 years that we didn't have our sons at home. Bit of a shock to the system. We chose to go out to dinner, something that my parents would do with us when I was growing up. We had an excellent dinner, just a bit quiet.

I had some high hopes of making progress, last weekend, on the 6. But, as usual, our local post office made a mess of it. Tracking info showed it was at the PO on Thursday, they miss marked it and I couldn't get them to correct the problem until this Wednesday. At least I have all the insulation, hole plugs and shims that I wanted. But, unfortunately, by then the car had been moved out for another project.

We were going to get rid of the Dodge vans, one worked faithfully for over 400K miles before indicating its lack of desire to continue. It's been "vulturized" for the current 2000 Grand Caravan that has become problematic at only 200K. I tried to get the local pic-n-pull to come and take them, but they won't even return the calls and requests for quotes. LOL

So last night we decided to go ahead and get the 2000 van up to snuff, smogged and re-registered. Both the Lovely Donna and I use it like a covered pickup. In a lot of ways it is far more utilitarian then the Ford F350 diesel crew cab dually that we have. Mostly because the F350 is dedicated to the horse farm, and seems to always be tied down either trailering or full of hay or...I missed picking up bumpers for the "Distraction" because the truck needed to serve its primary function instead of taking a trip to Berkeley. It's a bit hilarious that when I drove 1600 miles, round trip, to pick up extra Alfa engines, that I stuck them in the back of the van and didn't take the truck.

So that's a long explanation as to why I haven't made any progress. I hope to have the van going again tomorrow, and then the GTV6 will be back in the workshop. I did check it out, today, during the torrential rains (which are a relief from our recent chimney from hell experience) and found water in the floorboards. I hate sunroofs. Of course it's far better to find out now, rather than after I'd glued down the new insulation.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #752 (Edited)
A couple of pictures of the Vintage Air v stock HVAC set up. This is a Gen II Mini. I'm starting to think I can step up one more size to the Compac. Given the expense of the system, what's another $50 to find out?

Also a gratuitous picture of a couple of my favorite things.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
I need to clean the whiteboard tray!!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Good photos there... and considering your summertime temps, I might consider the Compact unit too, Bob. Lots of glass in that GTV 6 cabin, right? The extra capacity might be what you need, assuming it will physically fit in there. The best part of going modern with VA is that you'll never have the plastic heater valve woes, nor the OEM expansion valve either. I assume you'd go with VA components completely inside.

Suggestion: If practical, I'd try to maintain the function of the eyeball vents at each end of the dash. They are very nice to have on a really hot day, or a hot humid rainy day, where you need that cool dry air directed either at you, your passenger, or the side window to keep it clear. Maybe you can use a tee fitting off one of the unit discharge ports, to connect to the OEM flex tubing to each eyeball.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a really comfy system.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Back to the GTV6 this week. The Silver Pearl (2000 Dodge Grand Caravan) goes to a shop tomorrow. I can't figure out why it has a couple of auto transmission codes. I've become a parts changer to try and fix it (which is a particular irritant, I like to think I'm a mechanic, not a parts changer) and have run out of parts that I think will do the job. So, within reason, I'll pay a shop to try and get the codes to go away, and finally smog the beast. It's only got 208K miles, and the last one I had did 405K. So it should only be half way done...LOL

With the GTV6 outside, it's been a bit disturbing to see water intrusion on the floor boards. Thank goodness I hadn't installed the new jute insulation. I would have been a bit upset to immediately saturate the new stuff. So I have to figure that out.

I think it's the sunroof. It hasn't worked properly since I purchased the vehicle. It only retracts about 3". So I'm betting that the rear drains are not working. I'll search for some sunroof threads to figure out how to pull it out. It's a scabbed in replacement that was needed when thieves stomped the original in order to get inside and steal a radio. According to the PO. So, yet another thing to take out.

I can't wait to start putting things back together!

Bob

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
My relative's experience with Dodge Vans was in the two they had, the too small trannys would get overheated and the fluid would turn bad, causing lube problems inside, evidenced by overheated/blued/worn gears/mechanisms, confirmed by after hours inspections by the Pratt and Whitney labs where she worked as an engineer.

Whereas, the Honda van drivetrain they had later was pretty indestructible.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
The transmissions are clearly the Achilles heel of the platform. The rest of the vehicle works quite well.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
I gave up with my sunroof and I sealed it with DAP caulk before the GTV6 was painted. It is not the worst looking thing on the car.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
So

I'm home waiting for the penicillin to kick in and allow me to go back to work. Been a couple of days and I'm about stir-crazy. I wander out to the car to do something, anything. Start taking apart the HVAC mess, as I need a minimum of a heater until I put in the Vintage Air. Nothing really that complicated, other than dealing with the propensity of 34 year old plastic to break. Everything comes apart pretty easily, and I get down to the blower motor. Before I scab in my heater hookup (old heater valve has busted and I'm going to hook the core up with an electric valve placed in the engine compartment) I want to make sure that the system at least blows air. I hook it up to the power probe, no bueno...no whir, no spin, no movement. Bummer. A little tappy tap tap, while applying angry pixies, and it spins...joy, euphoria, ...ah oh, it stops. ****.

So

I continue to take the plastic surround apart, and pull the motor and squirrel cages out of the housing. Nothing looks like it's burnt or scorched, although one of the cages took a hit at some point, breaking off a couple of vanes. But still, no joy. Okay, time to look at the brushes, as the armature does not look beat. Prying with a small screwdriver...I shoot the clip and spring across the shop with such velocity that all I hear is where it hit, no idea where it landed. Despair

I call a buddy, who is down the street, also home sick but working on his MINI, and he comes over. We're trying to sort out what to do, as he has far more electrical acumen than I. He agrees that it doesn't look like the motor is burnt up, no scorch, no smell, and is a bit baffled, but admits that I'm screwed given the previous launch of necessary parts. As I'm rueing the arrangement...I notice the spring mocking me on the shop floor...and at the same moment, he notices the clip starring at us from the Power Probe case. Serendipity, in the extreme.

So we put it back together, and hook the Probe back up, juicing the motor for all its worth...nothing...but still no scorch or stink...I'd even gotten out my jar of Bosch smoke, just in case. So my buddy started wiggling the wires...whir, nothing, whir, nothing. OH, geez, we've been bamboozled by an intermittent lack of continuity in a wire that's about 3 inches long. SMH

Pictures later, when I've recovered.

Oh, looking for squirrel cage if someone has anything.

Bob

741 - 760 of 1211 Posts