Alfa Romeo Forums banner

701 - 720 of 1211 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
"You know, if you guys would just follow my lead, and promise her a Stelvio, you could work on whatever you wanted"

The promising isn't the hard part. The van is just about dead and she does really like the Stelvio. Coming up with the doh-re-me is the challenge. All the Alfas I ever owned combined (including service costs) don't add up to the cost of entry. :(

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
My remedy is horses, way more than I want to count.

Trust me, you're better off with a Stelvio.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My remedy is horses, way more than I want to count.

Trust me, you're better off with a Stelvio.
Like I tell my spouse. The cars don’t cost anything when not in use, need no care during that 2 weeks in Europe and are actually appreciating (albeit slowly)

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
"The cars don’t cost anything when not in use"

Well, lol.... do I wish. Still, doesn't keep me from wanting more than I have.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
"The cars don’t cost anything when not in use"

Well, lol.... do I wish. Still, doesn't keep me from wanting more than I have.
Of course you’re right to some degree but what I meant is they don’t need to boarded, don’t require “sitters” of some sort etc.....

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Gotcha. Cats are far easier, at least for a few days at a time. More than that, we do convince the next door neighbor to feed the thing, and clean the box (indoor cat), of course. Dogs are much more of a pain. Birds do fine for quite a while. Horses, geez, you cannot leave them (wife's cousin has 5 horses, says cannot leave), or have to hire a daily feeder, unless they are well pastured I guess.

Cars, just the insurance costs.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
The maintenance cost on a horse is about $300 a month. Hay and supplements are the normal cost, but I ought to add in the vet costs, it seems that there are always vet costs.

The fixed costs are astronomical. 4/5ths of the property, an 80 foot long barn, paddocks and turnouts, a professional dressage arena. Next year I need to start rebuilding the barn. 28k tractor, F350 diesel dually crewcab pickup, trailers... Anytime someone asks me "hey, my wife/kid wants to get a horse" I say "the first horse costs $100,000"

She just asked about building a "round pen". My response was "do you have 60k? What's the payback..." The rest of the conversation did not go well...

To Del's point on vacation: We haven't been on a joint vacation in 14 years. Now, I've been to Bonneville several times, Monterrey, competed in Engine Masters Challenge 5 times, etc. But...no joint vacations. It's so tough vacationing on your own.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
The Distraction has arrived, and been placed in, as my new daughter-in-law calls it, the island of disrepair. She can turn a phrase.

I did hear the GTV muttering, so I washed it and the LS in order to soothe their concerns.

Now that sunset occurs around 5:00 pm, there will be many evenings in the shop. I called a local Vintage Air vendor and they will lend me an HVAC system to fiddle with when I pull the dash. It should determine whether or not that is a viable solution.

The big bummer is that I will be at the track on the 13th, and I'd hope to take the GTV6. Doesn't look likely.

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
" It's so tough vacationing on your own"

Yeah, my feeling. We just choose not to do it. We have our own personal life styles, but after 42 years of knowing each other, our lives are fairly intertwined in what we choose to do. And, no we have NO horses, although my wife wanted one when she was growing up, her cousin having one and doing show jumping around LA.

I feel for you.

BTW, I think you have too much energy. I'm envious, and wish I had some of it, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
BTW, I think you have too much energy. I'm envious, and wish I had some of it, lol.
LOL, and I think I'm a sloth. Perspective is everything.

My sons are always after me to "slow down and relax". I just can't do it. Too many things to see and do, not enough time. I'd rather have someone rob me of money than time. Time haunts me. If I only have 20 more summers, how do I want to spend them? (I probably don't have 20 more summers because I won't stop eating bacon and drinking wine...who really wants a summer without bacon and wine!) I have things to learn and places to see; I need to weld better, learn how to play the guitar (was a drummer in my formative years and always wanted to play a melody) see Savannah Georgia.

But I do enjoy a good book.

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Well, glad you choose to rebuild/restore Alfas.

Understand about the books, and we always bring readers loaded with them (used to put actual books in our suitcases before) when we do our traveling somewhere around the world. We also have probably more than 4000 books of all kinds and subjects in the house. We buy some wherever we visit and mail them back to read. Used book stores love us. We are always reading, those who don't read never learn new things.

All this because we have no horses, just several well running Alfas and Italian wine (and bacon once a week), of course.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Saw a bumper sticker over the weekend. "everyone dies, few truly live".

Wine and bacon in moderation, but cheese is the third leg of the stool. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Saw a bumper sticker over the weekend. "everyone dies, few truly live".

Wine and bacon in moderation, but cheese is the third leg of the stool. ;)
Last night I cut into a great artisanal cheddar, wrapped them in prosciutto and had a Zin...I will die with a smile. Its amazing what you can afford when you finally get the kids off the payroll. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
We cheated. Due to medical issue, no offspring, but we ended up with exchange students. "Rentakids" we called them. If they acted up, you could mail them back, lol. Wonderful experiences, all of them, building international relationships and travels, something many do not care about or appreciate in this country, alas. You see/understand the world and your own country differently.

And, meet interesting Alfa owners elsewhere, luckily.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Unlike many, I don't lament the recent time change...because now it's dark when I get home and property maintenance can really only happen during the weekends.

So, the car building season officially goes into overdrive. Yeah!!

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #717

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Or, Aching for Alfas, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
Pulled the dash out of the car yesterday evening. Having dealt with the nightmare that is a Fox body Mustang dash, this was child's play. Well, given the accurate advice from folks on this thread. Is there a body manual for these cars anywhere? I've purchased a bunch of manuals and service bulletins, etc, and there isn't much I've found on the mundane subject of the body items.

Anyhow, I digresss into bitcchy mode!

It came off without a hitch. I do think I might have found out what was wrong with the speedo, one of the connectors wasn't plugged in. A number of the switches were not properly plugged in or the wiring was just missing. Found a couple of scotchloks, which is never a good sign, on some other switches wiring, but they didn't seem to do anything. I'll have to remove them. There is a horrid mess of wiring jerryrigged through some of AC hosing, not only is it not connected anywhere, it also is a botched unprofessional job. (Well Bob, what were you expecting, huh!!!) Anyhow, pictures when I download them.

On a better note, I purchased a ratcheting crimper. My hand strength isn't what it used to be. And, a mockup for the Vintage Air unit. I might as well satisfy myself that it will work while I have the dash out. Installation of the real system probably won't occur until next year.

Bob

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded PO created a real mess in there. What on earth was he/she thinking anyway? Probably some sort of totally messed up sound system or alarm setup.

Keep at it. You will be sooo happy/relieved when you finally get it figured out. And, we will all be very proud of you.

701 - 720 of 1211 Posts