Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've got a set of Longacre scales from my former racing efforts, so I've been scaling the cars as I've removed things. These are the results so far, your results may differ:

Total weight, less fluids 2704

Hood 31
Radiator and fan 26 (still had a bit of coolant.)
Air filter assembly, intake hoses, all the vacuum hoses 6
Air compressor and brackets 30

Any guesses on the Maratona body work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I'm just about done taking things apart, for this initial go. I'll pull the Maratona kit, and seats, tomorrow. Then I'll start the rewire. I found more crap today, headlights are a rewire mess, and the crash switch has been bypassed. I took out the sketchy tropic air install, all kinds of unconnected wiring just wound up.

Best part of the day was finding the cam timing on point.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Another win.

Pulled the Maratona body kit off one side looking for rust. Not a bit.

The kit parts need some work; lots of cracks and blemishes. So I'll need to address them before it ever goes back on.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Seats are out; I'll start trying to resurrect them while waiting to get them done, or replaced by something substantially lighter.

Additional observed weights:

Bumpers front and rear 51
Maratona body kit, except for rear tail 30
Seats 77

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Are you still waiting on cam locks? I have a set you can borrow as long as they come home when you are done with them

Thank you very much for the offer. However, I've obtained a set and will be moving that project back to the front burner when the Maratona is on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Purchased a set of the original Maratona wheels. Yes, I know they are that weird TRX sizing and the tires are stupid expensive. My plan is to just put them away until I want to return it to originality. That day will may never come, so my kids will have to deal with them. LOL

Also accumulating parts to put this back into decent shape. The seats are going to need a ton of work, the Leatherique is not really getting the job done. I'm sure it'll cost a couple of thousand $$ to get them properly back in order. Which is far more than my cost for the car.

Unfortunately my DVOM ended up in a pasture...sometimes I wish people wouldn't "help" me. Nevertheless, I pulled the Power Probe (no, no, don't go there...it really is a bit of test equipment) out of its dusty case and will start unraveling the wiring this weekend.

I'm really hyped over getting this one on the road.

Bob

Oh, received the Alfetta door and hatch locks from overseas. We'll see if they can replace the existing locks.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
A full weekend, and why I dislike wiring

Before you can re-wire, you must un-wire...and clean and clean and clean...

Lots of PO kludges, some of them potentially dangerous. I did talk to my buddy, and he'd had some issues prior to parking it. He'd only used it for a very short time, and knowing his skills, I think that they preceded his ownership. I've shown some of the problems previously. Things only got worse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Lots of frayed wires and poorly maintained grounds.

The wires on the coil fell apart when examined. I'm not sure how this thing fired. The main grounding nut and bolt on the right side had broken off the fender. Someone had loosely bolt and nutted the assembly through the fender...not a good ground. And the whopper of them all was the positive cable connection at the battery.

Several of the relays went to nowhere. Wires were through the firewall and left bare on the inside. I assume they had something to do with the non-functioning HVAC. I removed them until I R&R that system. I'm still chasing the non-working relay that only has yellow wire on it in the pictures. I've got to drop down the fuse box and find out where they go. There are also three wires, with single wire connectors, that come out right at the left rear corner of the engine compartment. I need to figure out whether they have a necessary purpose, or are just hanging around.

I ordered some additional wiring supplies from the internet. A little more cleaning and we'll get to putting it back together. And, I need to get another DVOM, I feel like I'm missing a hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Jeez Louise. Bad, bad, bad, but really glad you are persisting on this.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
the engine bay cleaned up rather nicely! what kind of foam did you use? and was there much scrubbing going on?
Nice job, I'm glad you are continuing with this!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I use the cheapest can of engine degreaser from Walmart, rinse it off, then using the HF version of Mr. Clean eraser with a rinseless wash. You have to be careful with the eraser because it's a fine abrasive.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Thanks for the info

It's not that I need it (I'm detailing engine bay w/eng. out) but it's good to know on the next one!

Yeah I know, "the next one" admits my addiction.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It's not that I need it (I'm detailing engine bay w/eng. out) but it's good to know on the next one!

Yeah I know, "the next one" admits my addiction.

Ohhhh how I know! I'm still jonesing for a Guilia Super and a 2600 Sprint and a Guilietta Sprint and a.....

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I see you still have the 7.5 and 15 amp fuses there on the fender, but there's another industrial type fuse holder for who knows what. The light gauge yellow wires are probably for the underhood lamp.

Sometimes, I don't think we give our old Alfas enough credit for kinda running and starting under these kind of conditions!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
The Addiction

I almost had my wife talked into an 8C until she saw the auction prices, those darn little details.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
I keep thinking that I would like to buy a cherry restored very simple 67 Giulia Super, and forget completely about the new complicated hi-tech Giulia.

Of course, my wife keeps saying, so which car are you going to sell? I answer that I don't understand the question.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I guess I'm lucky, the Lovely Donna asked if I needed to purchase a parts car...well of course!

But, she has seven horses...

Have you heard the one "What's the quickest way to turn cash into poo..." :wink2:

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Oh, just buy a boat or airplane.

Reactions: horsewidower
41 - 60 of 1396 Posts