Alfa Romeo Forums banner

561 - 580 of 1396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Oh, and yesterday I insured it for the road. And, I'm trying to be prepared to smog the car Tuesday.

Even licensed and driven, it will still need a fair amount of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #562 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

End of the day:

Ride height is too low, I want at least 5" at the lowest point at the front, which is at the exhaust down pipe. I'm just at 5" at the sump. It also needs to come up to set to book standards. Also camber is excessive at -1 3/4. But we will wait to dial things in until we've passed smog.

Tomorrow I'll install the shocks, adjust out the excessive toe-out and then start sorting things for smog. One of the first things, after having it running will be to install a working tach.

It's my birthday tomorrow and a great gift would be to drive it around the block.

Bob

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Hippo birdie two ewe!!

Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Today's list, I have to knock off early. :

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
You will get some of the camber back when you raise the suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
You will get some of the camber back when you raise the suspension.

Agreed, I'll wait to do that before doing anything rash.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Today's results. Have to get ready for dinner with everyone.

Ran out of time for a ride. I'm out of gas or I have an ignition issue. The fuel pump runs when you do the screwdriver pushing the flap trick. That will be tomorrow's first order of business.

Installed the front shocks

Then I took entirely too long adjusting toe. It was badly toed out with a bit of thrust angle. Quite the work out for the lift. I used a plumb bob to find center, and then used toe plates to adjust everything. I'm not a huge fan of toe plates, but they got the job done.

Gave it a scoosh of toe-in

Then fiddled with the tach. Old one has the dreaded limp needle issue. New to me one (thanks again William!) has already been fixed.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Have a great dinner.

What toe do you think you ended up with?

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #570

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Lol, in or out? I ran my Alfettas and GTV6, and the Milano with 0 to barely in.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
In, I prefer a bit of mild understeer until I know the car.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
The toe will change when you adjust the ride height and/or camber.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Good. You had mentioned something about toe out before somewhere. Wasn't sure about what you meant. Any toe out can wear out tires much faster, esp the inner tread. The FWD 164 was a disaster for many owners, as the original Alfa spec for toe out (and the factory set neg camber) tended to wear the inner tread in just a few thousand miles. Ruined many a good tire. Now I run zero per the newer spec, would always run it there anyway. I value tire life more over the assumed last 99.5% of handling.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
It runs, after lunch we'll see if it drives.

Hood is back on, I'll put the grill in with dummy lights so it's not such a LEO magnet.

Tach still doesn't work, must be a wiring problem. I'll have to figure that out. I used a tach and dwell meter to set timing. We're right on the dot, at 950 rpm. I do need to add an additional return spring.

So, it will go to smog tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Attempt to drive around the block.

Fail.

Something is rubbing badly on the right front. Investigating shortly.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #577

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Eureka!

Discussed the issue with a couple pro mechanic friends. Consensus was that I didn't drive it far enough to get the pads and rotors to play nice with each other. I put it up in the lift, spun the front tires, had a slight tick, tick and swoosh, swoosh of a pad and rotor kissing each other. Put it back on the ground, retorqued all the lug nuts and took it out again.

Nirvana.

Hauled *** for a couple of country blocks. What an absolute blast. And a bit nerve wracking with no speedo, no tach and no plates. Lolololololol

Still has a hanging idle, and seems to miss at idle also. I'll stick a helper spring in the throttle blade, change a suspect fuel line to the start injector and then brave the smog shop tomorrow.

Money shots:

Light was perfect. It does NOT look this good.

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
Looks sweet.

Talking about noise from a GTV6, I once took my 86 around the back side of Mt St Helens on a very nice winding one way one lane road, and was enthusiastically on and off the gas and brakes in a ride I still remember. Just about the time I finished the run, at the last heavy brake application, I started to hear a rapid thump/bang, thump/bang from the front end when I applied the brakes. Slowed down, and a few miles down the road, it went away.

Turned out the left front disc was ever so slightly larger in dia than the other disc, and when hot, grew even larger in diameter and a high spot was hitting the inside of the caliper. Weird. Turned the disc down slightly in dia, and all was fine after that. That was one good ride though. Now the road is different two way, most curves taken out, alas. They ruined a very good mountain road so that motorhomes, trailers, and big SUVs can make it down the road.

BTW, discovered why women seem to like SUVs. They sit higher, think they can see further, so they tend to tailgate, lol.

561 - 580 of 1396 Posts