Alfa Romeo Forums banner

461 - 480 of 1225 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
I got home from work, last night, and it was over 100* in the workshop...still 96* at 8:30pm. So, I wimped out and went back in the air conditioned house. I did get three travel permits at AAA, although they told me that they couldn't issue me new plates and a sticker because the car is not in the DMV's computer. Bummer!!!

So, I'm going to have to venture into that hell known as the CA DMV. I checked on an appointment, but the earliest available in our area is August 18th. And, when I called to get clarification on whether or not I needed a light and indicator inspection, the wait time for a real person was 45 minutes (and I really had no confidence in the answer I would receive). Looks like I'm going to have to burn a Friday morning to get answers.

I did spray some penetrating oil on the rotor to hub screws for the front brakes. They are truly frozen in place, and I was starting to round the slot with an impact screwdriver. Looks like a bit of heat, a bit of tappy tap tap, and some more penetrating oil is in order.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I got home from work, last night, and it was over 100* in the workshop...still 96* at 8:30pm. So, I wimped out and went back in the air conditioned house. I did get three travel permits at AAA, although they told me that they couldn't issue me new plates and a sticker because the car is not in the DMV's computer. Bummer!!!

So, I'm going to have to venture into that hell known as the CA DMV. I checked on an appointment, but the earliest available in our area is August 18th. And, when I called to get clarification on whether or not I needed a light and indicator inspection, the wait time for a real person was 45 minutes (and I really had no confidence in the answer I would receive). Looks like I'm going to have to burn a Friday morning to get answers.

I did spray some penetrating oil on the rotor to hub screws for the front brakes. They are truly frozen in place, and I was starting to round the slot with an impact screwdriver. Looks like a bit of heat, a bit of tappy tap tap, and some more penetrating oil is in order.
So one begins to understand why so many people out there want to split up the state, right? Good grief... that's a ton of bureaucratic crap for a 1980s automobile. I formally invite you, horsewidower, to Kentucky, the Bluegrass state, :grin2: where you can have all the horses you wish (even in suburban areas, with sufficient graze), and state government will not persecute you like that.

Alfa content: I have a hand impact driver, 3/8" square drive, that I use with a hammer for that kind of frozen screws. Slot head or Phillips.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Hot!
100*
I looked up Wilton, CA on the map--Yup.
Just think how hot you would be if you weren't sending some heat North.
Like to Vancouver, where I live is close to the ocean.
It's 80* now and the typical high is 72 and the low 57.
Sigh, but let's think some cool thoughts.
In 1965, the company I was with transferred me to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
That was in September and then it got cold and my DD was a 101 Spider.
At the apartment, it was outdoor parking and each site had a plug-in for a lower-rad heater and battery warmer.
It was a brief walk to work, but when the weather report said "49 below" I did start the car.
In an attempt for the world's record at starting an Alfa at the coldest temperature.
Later, I checked the archive and it was -49* with no wind chill BS.
Do I feel any cooler--No!
:)

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Today's oven:

I think I'll target early tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
Not as hot today. With the hillbilly AC I kept the shop no hotter than 95*

It was pleasant in the morning

I tried to control my grime and gunk OCD, but succumbed. See the magical cleaning solution of the day, below. Recommended by a buddy that uses it to clean his hot tank. Quite effective full strength, but be careful. I did scrub some paint off with a microfiber towel.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Needed a smoke wrench to remove the rotor screws.

I had planned to change all the bearings, but found out that I had the wrong seals. Bummer! I ordered some, and will pick them up tomorrow.

Both sides of the front suspension, including the torsion bars have been removed so I can install this:

It should make it easy to level the car.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Mocked up:

I think I'll shorten the adjustment bolt a bit less than an inch. And cleanup the bearing surface. Right now it bears on a thin circle on the end of the bolt.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
We used to call that, actually a welding torch, a flame wrench. Useful now and then for stubborn parts such as removing frozen on wheel bearing races, etc. It's how I met one of my best buddies decades ago, when he had a wheel bearing race from his 64 Giulia Spider on his work desk. I asked, saying that looks like an overheated wheel bearing race, said it was from his DD Alfa, and we have been friends ever since, since I was driving my DD Giulia Sprint GT at the time.

Isn't it fun installing nice new clean parts?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Well, bummer. The ordered seals came in the wrong size.

It's a bit odd. Both suppliers had seals that were seriously too large. This time I went to an old school auto parts store. And, I took the front hubs/rotors. They pulled out their calipers and books and found something that should fit. The book lists the seals as GTV6 rear seals!?

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday to collect them.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #470 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Fiddling with torsion bars:

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
I have to confess, even though I'm mildly ashamed to do so...Given that I want an Alfa, this year, that actually legally drives on the street, I stuck some parts and replacement parts in a bag and took them to a local shop to have them refurbished. Using an alias on the quote.

I know, I know, I can do it myself and save the $$, but time is a wasting.

Still, I feel a bit dirty :(

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
You mind me asking where you came up with that adjuster for the torsion bars? I've seen a couple of them for sale, but it's a rare bird.

Yes they are, came from the U.K. Having a brain fart at the moment, I'll get you the info. Came from a Facebook group.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That's ok.. just curious. I think that '84 was the last year for that detachable torsion bar carrier anyway. It's welded into the unit body on Mike's '86. I don't want to distract you from that rebuild, man!

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Missed the outside dimension of the front wheel bearing seal "by that much." Attempt number four coming up...

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
Ahhhh, nope.

Time to stop relying on auto parts professionals, pull out the calipers and start looking through the Motion Industries catalog.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Ahhhh, nope.

Time to stop relying on auto parts professionals, pull out the calipers and start looking through the Motion Industries catalog.
Read through this thread:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/347722-gtv6-front-wheel-seal.html

I went through the same thing (but I only got the wrong seals once), but I cannot find the invoice with the correct part # (check the above thread, seems to have some correct part #s to cross-reference).

The front inner and outer wheel bearings themselves are the exact same part used on an early Porsche 911 or BMW 2002, so I had those on the shelf at my shop!

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
Man, how did I miss that thread!!!

Thanks a bunch.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #479 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Just for future reference: (and I'm sure some of these will disappear over time)

(Edit: WARNING don't even think about ordering anything based on this post...keep reading...nothing to see here)

494117: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/axt-494117?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-auto-extra&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImYn57bTZ3AIVA9RkCh16fg1QEAkYBCABEgJah_D_BwE

SKF 15850:

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-15850-Metric-Grease-Seals/dp/B000EPOEPI/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Alfa Romeo|16&Model=GTV-6|82&Year=1984|1984&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

and

Product Datasheet for 15850

No sense looking for the Akron PN, when you go to their site, they give you the SKF information:

SKF | Online Catalog | Handbook of Seals (457010) | Parts Lookup

Now to buy some and see what actually fits.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #480
I ordered the last two SKF's that the seller had. They are said to be "out of production".

I also ordered a couple of the 494117, they were out of stock but said to be shipped directly by the supplier. So we'll see what happens here.

Motion Industries catalog, no joy. Nothing quite makes it, and anything close is no longer in production.

I would suggest that if you plan to do this, you treat your old seals as if you have to reuse them. I did purchase a set of the "rear seals" for the GTV6 (apparently no such thing) when we measured things up at the NAPA store. They are just a scosh too small at the outside diameter, I considered sticking them in with some Locktite sleeve product.

Always an interesting journey.

461 - 480 of 1225 Posts