Alfa Romeo Forums banner

281 - 300 of 1225 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Out to the workshop!

I need to get it ready for smog before the temporary permits expire.

Let's hope there are no more PO caused side trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
How many years back before the car doesn't have to be checked in Cal, or is there no cutoff, the car being required to be checked forever? In Washington, it is 25 years, although we have had no problems with passing the tests here (yeah, I know they are not the same as those in Cal). I think (guess, actually) the State feeling is that there are so few cars of that age and older, that they don't make any meaningful difference, esp if they don't get driven much nowadays.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
How many years back before the car doesn't have to be checked in Cal, or is there no cutoff, the car being required to be checked forever?.

Anything after '75 requires a smog check. They killed the 25 rolling exemption years ago.

To get my '74 GTV title I had to have the smog decal for that year. It's a pain in these older cars.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Getting all the painting and pre-paint prep done first, to get everything that needs drying done.

The paint on the hood is a pimply mess. I also treated for rust.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
If it's set up for 8 nuts, two should do, right? I'm no longer surprised.

Even though I'm going to use plasti-dip, I spent time trying to level the pimples a bit

And then back to mechanical work.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #286

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Installing all the fuel tank vapor lines.

Unfortunately, the air valve isn't working, and I need a 9/16 fuel line for the filler line.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
The grease is necessary. Some of these were a bit of a struggle.

I also just re-riveted the vapor separator down instead of using the supplied hardware.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Bled the clutch, worked well when I finally turned the speedbleeder far enough. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Spraying a wet coat with a can is tough, even when you heat the can.

We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Hey, a question for you guys, concerning shocks.

The car has Koni reds. Knowing the propensity of the immediate PO, I bet they are set full stiff, LOL.

I'm over my "boy racer" phase and am looking for a compliant but competent ride. Where would you suggest I set the shocks?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I feel that any good KONI shock (red or yellow) set on full soft still beats the heck out of most others, unless you're into all out track events. Mike has KONI yellows on his '86, set soft or pretty close to soft, and the car is very comfortable and controllable at speed.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
When I installed adjustable Konis on my LS (with S springs), I fiddled with the adjustment to see if I could more or less duplicate the feel of the 91S on "sport". After much driving on the same road in both cars, I finally set the Konis at about 2/3+ stiff (that's about 12-14 knob flats on the adjusting knob out of ~18 IIRC. We ended up very pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Hey, a question for you guys, concerning shocks.

The car has Koni reds. Knowing the propensity of the immediate PO, I bet they are set full stiff, LOL.

I'm over my "boy racer" phase and am looking for a compliant but competent ride. Where would you suggest I set the shocks?

Bob
Ideally, i would have the shocks tested. Reds are old, not available for many years, most are no longer in spec is my bet. Find a shock dyno and see what it tells you. The difference between a set of proper shocks and worn out ones on a chassis is massive.
Otherwise...set them all to full soft and do the bounce test! Bounce each corner of the car and see how it feels. Koni are only reboud adjustable so keep that in mind.
I might have a full set of NOS GTV6 shocks around...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Off to the workshop!

Goal is to finish the fuel system so that I can start the engine. I need to run through Greg's L-jet tune up.

I'm not optimistic about finding the 9/16-14mm hose at a McParts store, so I won't be able to reinstall the filler tube. No driving until that's done.

I've got 4 coats of dip on the hood. A bit of tiger stripe. It's hard to get a decent job with paint bombs. I think I'll buy enough for two more coats and alter my method.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Still have some Bilstein shocks here if you need. I'll send pics if you like. They would be a gift to you if you need. Good luck with the tune up.

Thanks a bunch!!! Let me pull the Koni off and check them.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Well it was a two steps forward, one step back kind of day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

When pulling out the old fuel lines, I noticed that the lines were badly chaffed and pinched were they went through the "frame rail." So I decided to run a couple of hard lines through the opening. I'd like to say I got them right the first time, but no. I tried to do something complicated, but in the end, simple was better.

Everything is in place. Just ran out of proper hose clamps. I'll go by the store tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Was that hose blue on the inside?

If so its for brake fluid.

281 - 300 of 1225 Posts