Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 alpha spider does not fire at all, it was fine I took it for a long run then parked it. It has been very wet here and foggy. Ive had a mouse problem. I pulled the fuel pump in the tank and bench tested it . It was bad so I replaced it. I tried a new coil no help. I have 12 volts to each side of coil. Ive been going thru and cleaning all grounds. I wonder if my ecu has been shorted and burnt out.Does any one test them?

·
Administrator
17,714 Posts
Hello & welcome.

I'm not aware of anyone that tests our ECU's. The ECU is generally considered a rather sturdy unit (but they are getting up in age...). Even the shop manual never described a way to test the ECU. They basically had you test that all the inputs were getting sent to the ECU and if no faults were found there the next step is 'replace ECU'.

Click on the link in my signature for a page of DIY info about L-jetronic Spider Diagnosis (you may need to click the down arrow to see the full signature). L-jet is a system - all the bits have to work right for it to work at all.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Try the easy thing first, The battery really needs to have a full charge. You really have to shock the ECU to wake it up. Then move on the the next test.

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I agree w/ghnl - the Jetronic unit is very non susceptible to electronic badness. It's really just a 'state'machine ( no cpu or other active devices ). It's just a bunch of resistors, coils, capacitors, transistors. ( still don't weld near the plugged in housing ) but you could . But don't. I'm just sayin' it's a pretty tough little box.
However if your car is a salvage from sunken lakes in Florida, that could be bad for it. But like ghnl intimates, looking somewhere else first, would be better spent time in his [ and my opine]. Especially as it was running just before parking it.
Follow his link, Luke, it it will lead you to . . . !! and please ground your light saber before poking around in that area, despite what I said earlier.

Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Rule out spark right off the hop. If you have a spare spark plug, use that, plug it into any disconnected lead, make sure the outside is touching the engine where you can see it, crank the engine.

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
agree, check spark first off....if no spark, test the flywheel sensors (see the L-jetronic diagnosis in Eric's [ghnl] signature for how-to etc)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts