Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Fuse in fuse box position #4 must be kept out of car. With #4 fuse installed, starter engages by itself and fuel pump runs constantly with key out of ignition. Car has battery master kill switch installed in trunk. The moment you turn the switch on to energize car, all of this happens related to the #4 fuse. With #4 fuse out of fuse box, car functions "normally". Starter engages in "start position", car tries to start, but when key released to "run position" car slowly dies after a few seconds.

Is this the sign of a bad ignitor???? Or can you PLEASE help me to direct me to what to test next. Remember this is the car that has been sitting 18+ years without running.
Assuming you installed the new ignition switch in an attempt to resolve this issue (being that it's hard to wire incorrectly), I would say drop the fuse box out and remove the bottom cover and take a look at your wiring. Car sitting for that long invites critters and such. You've got a bad short somewhere. That's where I'd start.

The fusebox is held in by plastic rod "ears" that, on the left, slides through a hole in sheetmetal coming off the firewall next to the steering column, and on the right, snaps down. So pop right side up and then you can slide laterally to right removing the fusebox. The cover will come off if you squeeze and pry it - carefully.

...Because you DO have a potential short, it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i was not the person who disassembled the car so long ago. also i have no other car to compare things either. evrything from firewall forward , electrically and mechanically was disassembled , with nothing tagged , bagged or marked
Oh. ...That changes things.

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.